+ Visit West Ham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why bother playing in the cups?

Why bother playing in the cups?

I don't go often to the Boleyn these days but I did last night. It was a good opportunity to see some of the new players and the ticket price was clearly very reasonable.

The football was quite pleasing to watch and some of the players looked promising, including Burke, Poyet and Sakho. However, one mystery that does need to be solved urgently, is how does Vaz Te manage to get into the team and secure a regular starting place?

For a while it looked like the team would chalk up a decent win, but somehow there was something lacking. There was no real drive to clinch the win and then in the second half the shape went. Sheff Utd simply pushed up a bit and all of a sudden Jaaskelainen's distribution from the back deteriorated and he reverted to hoofball.

Downing added some urgency when he came on but the overall performance was unconvincing. Despite the good size crowd, and what the significance of the match meant to some fans, it seems players pick and choose when to perform and perhap

re: Why bother playing in the cups?

I think a lot of fans no longer worry too much about cups. I remember last season in the F A Cup Blackburn played Man City which, a few years back, would have guaranteed a full house. In other words a "typical" cup tie. A local derby, a lower league side at home to one of the top. teams in the land.

Was it a sell out? Was it f_uck. When it gets to the later stages the crowds come along but early doors clubs have to slash prices, for which credit should be given, to get a decent crowd in.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)