+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Do not be fooled...

Do not be fooled...

Rare I post on here, infact, I never do.

Steve Davis is a politician, he plays the fans, he had 3 months to pressure the board regarding funds, he didn't, he comes under pressure, now he questions the board and the finances, when the board can't act anyway.

Since he has been in charge we have spent 100k on Inman, 80k on Ellis, 30k on Pogba, it's not a great amount, but I bet no other league one clubs with our attendances have spent £210k on players, within the last 3 years.

Yes, we have sold Westwood, Powell and Murphy, but the club has had to invest significantly more in the academy to maintain the cat 2 status, I'm sure over time, this will resort back to the usual 500k, however to obtain cat 2 status they needed to invest.

Davis has a habit of signing the wrong players at the wrong time, last year was a great example, He had wingers in abundance, yet he kept signing players in that position who were bang average, resulting in likes of Byron Moore getting fed up, and leaving.

re: Do not be fooled...

Eloquently put - but on your last point, the same team that was promoted was the same team that was being primed for relegation from League Two when Davis took over.

Midfield Not the Big issue REALY how many games have you been? and as for Ajay how many games did he need to prove himself, same with RAY now? waiitng for them to come good we will be in the Conference league. The 1st team is not for bringing kids on while we slip towards none league, Dario did it with RIX and look what happened to him.

I also believe that Davis has lost the confidence of the board with regards to player recruitment.If indeed this is the case and realistic funding is not released I believe it should result in a back me or sack me situation.

I agree broadly with the originator of the thread - evidence was there for all to see in Graham McGarry's programme notes for the Rochdale league game.

Baker quoted as saying the board asked what could be done to improve recruitment which led to the appointment of Chris Johnson.

Baker also stated our recruitment was n't good enough last summer and we did n't get it right in terms of character which no doubt went down like a rat sandwich in the dressing room given that most if not all of the players recruited last summer are still on the playing staff.

What about the summer before?

Ellis (gone), Osman (gone), Robertson (who?), Mike West (were there any sightings of him?), Pogba (gone - albeit at a profit).

Of those five, only one has made a truly ascendant career move (though I suppose Osman could argue he's playing at a better standard).

I'm not calling for his head just yet and if our current plight leads to more transparency about the club finances then all well and good but le

[quote="Etb1989"]Rare I post on here, infact, I never do.

Steve Davis is a politician, he plays the fans, he had 3 months to pressure the board regarding funds, he didn't, he comes under pressure, now he questions the board and the finances, when the board can't act anyway.

Since he has been in charge we have spent 100k on Inman, 80k on Ellis, 30k on Pogba, it's not a great amount, but I bet no other league one clubs with our attendances have spent £210k on players, within the last 3 years.

Yes, we have sold Westwood, Powell and Murphy, but the club has had to invest significantly more in the academy to maintain the cat 2 status, I'm sure over time, this will resort back to the usual 500k, however to obtain cat 2 status they needed to invest.

Davis has a habit of signing the wrong players at the wrong time, last year was a great example, He had wingers in abundance, yet he kept signing players in that position who were bang average, resulting in likes

Agree with every word of the OP. The board aren't perfect, and one of them in particular needs to be taken as far away from this club as is humanly possible.

HOWEVER... Why are people constantly taken in by our very own spin doctor? He says what everybody wants to hear, and the majority lap it up. For crying out loud, he says nothing about no backing all summer, then the morning after the window closes, shock horror, he says we need to spend money! Now, I'm sure I don't have to point out to you gentleman that this is, in fact, impossible, due to the window being SHUT...

Alistair Campbell would be proud!

PS. We do have limited funds, however, Davis refused to use them.

Normally I like easy posting, but these are not easy times. I do, however, take issue with some of he basic tenets of the original poster.

1. Steve Davis is no politician or PR man. He is simply a football manager, which entails portraying the public face of the club. He is a employee, and as such does what the Board say.
    2. Inman, Ellis and Pogba proved to be good buys at the time (well, Inman was amazing as a loan).
    3. It is right, in my opinion, that some loans were not successful (Park Bench, certainly), but others were Uche and Hitchcock.
    4. Midfield IS an issue. Without Powell, Westwood and Murphy (were to early?) we have no skilled playmaker in the centre - not of the standard we need anyway.
    5. Shearer was brought in to coach and challenge Ben: two jobs - one man.
    6. Eft1989 - no, you're not a fan of the Board, nor SD: you are, like the rest of us, a concerned Alex fan.
    7. Where do you get your 'ask the Board privately' comment from? Have you? Did they?
    8. At the beginning of

How long is Davis' contract? Wasn't he on a rolling contract 1 year ago but then signed a more stable contract (2 years?) after the JPT?

My point being, are the Board waiting for his contract to run out rather than sacking him and having to pay compensation? Just a thought.