+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'After Dario' - a review

'After Dario' - a review

After Dario by diehard Alex fan Jules Hornbrook is a must-read for those of us currently down in the dumps about our present parlous on-pitch performances.
    From the final months of Dario’s long, memorable and remarkably successful reign as the sole man in charge, Jules takes the reader through the unfortunate appointment of a top class proven coach (Steve Holland) to be a manager out of his depth, then the total volte face of the Alex principles by bringing in Thordason. It was then back to Dario and the gradual take over by Steve Davis.
    We had a remarkable 12 months and Jules spares no blushes in describing the highlights of getting to the play-offs and then, less than a year later the JPT final. The atmosphere of two successful Wembley visits is captured, bottled and poured out in flowing prose.
    Then came last season and its trials and tribulations, and our escape from relegation. Jules sets the scene for this season and presciently raises the questions and warning bells that have co

re: 'After Dario' - a review

I tend to think the rule of Thordason was inaccurate and unfair imo. He was not given time enough and it was never going to work with a black albatross forever in the background whereby the dressing room door had to be locked to keep it out. He wasn't against the philosophy of the youth policy at all. He said IF they are good enough they will play. So what's wrong with that? To do the opposite and find us where we are now? Most fans are suggesting a balance has to be struck and we have gone to far the other way. JH is a dedicated fan but maybe a bit too close to the status quo and hero worship of Dario to be really objective. In my simple view of course and I know and have met JH a few times. He does write well.

The same could be said of SH in that he was like many academy kids, not ready for the job and so was a mistake by the board and of course Dario who was his backer. Dario obviously lost the plot and shows that change is not always a bad thing but it really is to quote John Bowl

The same could be said of SH in that he was like many academy kids, not ready for the job and so was a mistake by the board and of course Dario who was his backer. Dario obviously lost the plot and shows that change is not always a bad thing but it really is to quote John Bowler..."A results business"!

[/quote]

Steve was being headhunted and it was a case of promote him to Manager or lose him altogether. You're right, he wasn't ready but from the Board's POV it was a gamble they felt they should take.

I've been reading this and enjoying it so far. I've told Jules this as well when I see him at work and we always have a chat about the Alex when I do.

Mike - it's unfair to say Jules is too close to really be subjective. The man has Crewe in his heart but he says it exactly as he sees it. The end of She Wore A Scarlet Ribbon makes no bones about the fact that he had fallen out of love with Crewe thanks to the way it was managed and the results sliding every downwards under Dario.

Just bought a copy but have`nt read it yet, looks to be a fine read in the usual Jules style of writing though!

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeDS
    I've been reading this and enjoying it so far. I've told Jules this as well when I see him at work and we always have a chat about the Alex when I do.

Mike - it's unfair to say Jules is too close to really be subjective. The man has Crewe in his heart but he says it exactly as he sees it. The end of She Wore A Scarlet Ribbon makes no bones about the fact that he had fallen out of love with Crewe thanks to the way it was managed and the results sliding every downwards under Dario.
    Fair comment mate, no problems, I will try and have a read of both books. I think Jules worked at Bentley and so assume you do also? Would you know if they sponsor anything at CAFC and they may but to have that on the academy lads shirt would be fantastic and sure to be worth 6 figures imv.

where can i buy a copy of this book ?

Just got my copy and loving it! Up to the playoffs JPT part and bringing back good memories. Highly recommended to any Alex fan.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB

Fair comment mate, no problems, I will try and have a read of both books. I think Jules worked at Bentley and so assume you do also? Would you know if they sponsor anything at CAFC and they may but to have that on the academy lads shirt would be fantastic and sure to be worth 6 figures imv.
    You'd be correct in your assumption. I don't know of any club sponsorship, but equally I can't see what's in it for Bentley if they did. They're not short of applicants, apprentices or graduates and the sad truth is that the fact it's Bentley is more of a draw for prospective candidates than any tie to CAFC will ever be.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeDS

You'd be correct in your assumption. I don't know of any club sponsorship, but equally I can't see what's in it for Bentley if they did. They're not short of applicants, apprentices or graduates and the sad truth is that the fact it's Bentley is more of a draw for prospective candidates than any tie to CAFC will ever be.[/quote]

Shame though as it would have been great on the lads shirts when they played all those prima donna teams? ;0

Quite a few years ago, After a number of interviews I got a job as Quality Engineer at Rolls Royce and after one week left a very good job really but didn't

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast