+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts wanted on Grant being injured

Thoughts wanted on Grant being injured

When Grant was down for quite a while Vale played on, which of course they are entitled to do.
    Is this in the present values of the game or were they not playing the game as it is today.

Should we return the compliment in the next game?

re: Thoughts wanted on Grant being injured

They are entitled to play on if the injured player is in no more danger by being left, especially late in a game and down 2-1.

I was absolutely incensed when they kept the ball after the throw in, though. That shows an extremely poor attitude to football which I hope we do not carry into the return match.

I wasn't aware of the rules of the game in such a situation. My thoughts at the time were: why doesn't the referee blow up to call a halt in play. Grant was behind the referee's field of vision but I would have expected one of his assistants to advise him that a player was lying injured on the pitch.

I believe that the referee is only obliged (and expected) to stop play if the injury is either a head injury or potentially serious (don't ask me how he is expected to judge that!), or if the player is in a place where he might interfere with play, as Grant wasn't.

Like all professional footballers I would expect us to play to the whistle, but would also expect us to return the ball in the instance when the Vale didn't, whatever the score. Again, though, it is within the referee's discretion to give a free kick for unsportsmanlike behaviour in such circumstances, I think.

While we are on the subject of referees, can we have him again please? I thought he let the game flow, played advantage where possible but was prepared to bring play back where it didn't result, and was generally pretty good. Don't know if Vale fans would agree, but compared with some we've had, 9 out of 10.

A point notable for the fact that we weren't discussing the referee when we coming away from the ground.

Yes thought ref had a decent match except for one glaring mistake. Having watched a re-run of the penalty incident I'm convinced their player "fell over" into the area after hardly being touched. Could've changed the outcome of the match. Luckily it didn't!

Thought it was a clear Pen as their No25 went past Ray in the pen area and Ray grabbed hold of him. ie don't think it was the trip but obstruction. The Ref was two yards away with a clear view and nobody objected really. Maybe we could learn to be more alert to a rebound, I don't know though as the Pen taker is bound to get first chance.

Strange that Adams subbed their best player?

My immediate reaction as nailed on pen and, as you say, no complaints from G Ray . . surprisingly no yellow card for him either!

The callers on Radio Joke were also rather upset that Slew was substituted - I for one was glad to see the back of him; was a thorn in our side all match!

Was Grant as badly injured as his lengthy stay on the floor suggested? He did not move a muscle for an age, until the man with the cold sponge attended to him. At first I thought that he was unconscious from his lack of movement.

You see, we fans are the first to object when opposing players go down as though they have been mortally wounded, only to jump back up and run around as if no injury was present. Just a question of fair play, that is all.

Having said that, I thought that Grant had a fantastic game yesterday and was extremely instrumental in our victory.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex
    I believe that the referee is only obliged (and expected) to stop play if the injury is either a head injury or potentially serious (don't ask me how he is expected to judge that!), or if the player is in a place where he might interfere with play, as Grant wasn't.

Like all professional footballers I would expect us to play to the whistle, but would also expect us to return the ball in the instance when the Vale didn't, whatever the score. Again, though, it is within the referee's discretion to give a free kick for unsportsmanlike behaviour in such circumstances, I think.

While we are on the subject of referees, can we have him again please? I thought he let the game flow, played advantage where possible but was prepared to bring play back where it didn't result, and was generally pretty good. Don't know if Vale fans would agree, but compared with some we've had, 9 out of 10.
    It was quite obvious the ball was kicked out by the

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast