+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: managers...

managers...

can't believe how blessed we are right now with the choice of coach...manager...whatever his title is...

we all know the spell we've been through with different choices we made, and sometimes mystified with some that we got rid of.

no more surprise was when we sacked Paul Sturrock, I remember saying at the time that it might just have been a good decision in the long run, and so it turned out.

new managers came and went, many went through a good spell then soon got found out, then along came Dave Jones, boy it seemed that everything he did was the right thing, he couldn't do wrong, he brought back some of the feeling that was there when Big Ron was, if we went a goal down we knew we'd pull it back...and usually go on to win.

he brought us an unbelievable promotion, not by way of the play offs, by climbing the league.

things seemed beyond him after a while in the Championship, I for one got fed up with his constant moaning about the referee, in the end his services were dispensed w

re: managers...

Totally agree Ray.

Sturrock built up a squad morale which still carries on from that team today (most of that previous squad are off on a reunion to Ibiza at the end of the season), and you could see that every individual in that team would play for each other. I think Gray has done the exact same thing with the current squad.

Unfortunately for PS, it ended sour and he couldn't quite handle the pressure and expectation in the championship - mainly due to the amount of new players that got brought in and didn't buy in to the team spirit he created.

I defended Dave Jones throughout his time here and put a lot of his reign down to the lack of financial support and awful pre-season preparations - this isn't a dig at Milan, the club just didn't have the finances available to support him and it wasn't until he got sacked that I realised how wrong DJ got it.

But then Mr Gray took the same squad and turned them into a competitive force playing good football. The rapid transformations from

Can't disagree with that Rov. Especially concerning Tom Lees; who I think is the best freebie since Laurie Madden.

Early days yet but after our recent struggles it's happier times.

Set backs will possibly occur at times, but Mr Grey, in his quiet way, connects with the fans and understands that having a team that gives all promotes that special bond on the pitch and in the stands.

Onwards to Reading on Saturday and whatever happens - but one thing I can be sure of - win- draw or loose - his team selection will give 100%; and that's all you can ask for.

SKT xxxx

Agree with everything above.

Stuart Gray is definitely a man manager..The proof...Ask any Leeds fan what Tom Lees was like (so they say) until Stu took him under his wing...

He's instilled passion, spirit and tons of commitment into every single player..He's worked wonders with this Wednesday side and deserves a medal bless him.

Long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by braggyowl
    Agree with everything above.

Stuart Gray is definitely a man manager..The proof...Ask any Leeds fan what Tom Lees was like (so they say) until Stu took him under his wing...

He's instilled passion, spirit and tons of commitment into every single player..He's worked wonders with this Wednesday side and deserves a medal bless him.

Long may it continue.
    Tom Lees was pretty poor for us last season braggy..mind you so was the majority of the team apart from maybe 2/3 players.

Well done to your gaffer for getting him playing well again.

The Rev wishes him well.

Nice one Rev.

Stuart Gray has done an amazing job.

With Little resources hes brought in a former Real Madrid player, still in his prime.

Tom Lee's as said above didn't look anything special at dirty Leeds.

Super Stevie May, Westwood a full international, plus the resigning of Loovens.

We now have a solid defence from which to build on, which explains only 4 league goals conceded thus far.

Long Stevie this continue

Post match interview, Stuart Gray displayed a solid understanding of managing a squad at this level.

Not that Nigel Coulgh is a bad manager, but for first time I heard him express doubts about not only his board, but an unnerving flakiness about his players, which if sheff utd are to challenge for championship is a problem.
    Clough is manager...buck stops with him.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)