+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Central Midfield Balance

Central Midfield Balance

This is something I've raised before but I think it needs reiterating with a thread of it's own.

we've got a selection dilemma when Bryson, hughes and hendrick are fit. it's pretty clear that before his injury hendrick was in better form that the other 2. Bryson has the best track record and hughes arguably the better ability.

for me, the Bryson hughes combination gives the whole team much more balance than hendrick playing. when hendrick plays with Bryson, Bryson doesn't get into the opponents box as jeff does it instead. ever since hughes came in alongside Bryson, he's been like a dog let off a leash. I thought that showed with his assist for ward's 1st goal at Blackburn and that blockbuster on Saturday from the edge of the box.

we've also seen hughes produce some of the best form of his career so far in the past 3-4 games.

so for me that's the combination I'd go with, despite hendrick being in the form of his life before the injury. there are some games where if we're playing

re: Central Midfield Balance

I think over a long season you need quality in depth in this position. Thats what we have.

Different combos for different games, or when fictures come thick and fast so we can keep players fresh

Have top say over the last 2 games I left thinking we have Brys and Hughes playing to the top of their games. Something we werent seeing inearlier games and part of reason for the inconsistent start may be?

Hughes really is a joy to watch, and gets better and better. He must cover nearly as much ground as Brys these days!

I know I'm probaby alone, but this discussion always seems to revolve around who partners Byrson. I actually think Hendrick and Hughes are our best combination.

Bryson & Hendrick are quite similar, but I think Hendrick has better composure and on this season's showing so far, is more effective.

That said, we are blessed in that we have the third option on the bench, so if one of them is having a bad game then its an easy swap without disrupting the rest of the team.

All 3 should play in front of a DM.

With Hughes and Bryson in the form their in currently, Hendrick shouldn't get a sniff once fit. A nice problem to have though

Hendrick will have to wait until someone starts to struggle.
    For me Bryson and Hughes... For me it's always Hughes and someone (except Eustace).
    SM has been consistent in not putting players straight back in..

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam
    Hendrick will have to wait until someone starts to struggle.
    For me Bryson and Hughes... For me it's always Hughes and someone (except Eustace).
    SM has been consistent in not putting players straight back in..
    I'm with angry on this (not the Eustace part), for me it's Hughes and someone else. He offers us vision and passing no one else in the division can offer. Hendrick and Bryson are similar in the fact their both at their best when surging forward whilst Will controls the game.

I'd agree with rapid, Bryson and Hughes are nailed on to start at the moment, but lets not forget games such as Brighton 4-1, where Hughes and Hedrick were immense.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)