+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Punching above their weight

Punching above their weight

I am referring to little Rochdale. Winning away at Orient yesterday and climbing to the dizzy heights of 5th spot. They have a small budget, yet a good manager who is continuing to get the most out of his players, just as he did when they were promoted from L2 last season. In Done (who was pilloried by some on here a while back) and Vincenti, they have two very good players. They have 7 goals and 4 goals respectively to their already. I wonder why we cannot compete at this level with all the money recouped from sales over the past couple of years, yet Rochdale can?

re: Punching above their weight

Done hasn't looked back since he put us to the sword in the 5-2 defeat. Worth mentioning that Oldham are top half too - is their budget any bigger than ours?

Not forgetting Walsall, Colcester etc, maybe they employ a shrewd management team!

Quote Originally Posted by PAULCAFC
    Not forgetting Walsall, Colcester etc, maybe they employ a shrewd management team!
    Or actually have ambition!

Let's not be patronising here - we have punched above our weight for the past 20 years and disliked those managers who have said so.

Every club has good times and bad times (2 years in the Conference like Colchester had anyone?) and these things should be rated over the long term. Luton, Grimsby and Lincoln would love to be punching at our weight, never mind their own!!

Even AlexAston is turning into a Doombuster now??some learn the hard way

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex
    Let's not be patronising here - we have punched above our weight for the past 20 years and disliked those managers who have said so.

Every club has good times and bad times (2 years in the Conference like Colchester had anyone?) and these things should be rated over the long term. Luton, Grimsby and Lincoln would love to be punching at our weight, never mind their own!!
    Repeating myself again, AA. Not meant to be patronising in any way towards Rochdale. I call them a little club with affection, just as I do with my own team, Crewe Alex. I hold such teams in the highest esteem, mainly because of their long history in the very lowest league. Respect to those club on low budgets, who are managed well and achieve a certain amount of success. I suppose it goes in cycles. We had to wait many years for it, Rochdale even longer.

Agreed, Mick, and no offence meant.

Quite how the dipstick itwasin inferred that I was agreeing with him god alone knows; it will be a cold day in hell before that happens!! I believe my comment suggested quite the reverse, and that we should be proud of our over-achievement over the years and become somewhat more realistic about our current predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex
    Agreed, Mick, and no offence meant.

Quite how the dipstick itwasin inferred that I was agreeing with him god alone knows; it will be a cold day in hell before that happens!! I believe my comment suggested quite the reverse, and that we should be proud of our over-achievement over the years and become somewhat more realistic about our current predicament.
    Absolutely AA. No offence was taken. Just wanted to explain what my point was in raising the issue. Cheers.

Still surprising a few at this level, Rochdale soundly beat high flying Preston (3-0), to climb up to 4th position in L1. That man Done was once again on the score sheet. Perhaps that puts our heavy defeats against the Dale into perspective? Now after a third of the season has gone, it is surely no flash in the pan up there in darkest Lancashire.