+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: That "goal"

re: That "goal"

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale
    Did the linesman have any input?
    Didn't move a muscle.

Ref fouled up. A "literal" interpretation of the rules when what was needed was a decision in the spirit of the game. What a shame too many referees have never kicked a ball in their life. [/quote]

How can you have a "literal" interpretation of the rules? IF and I didn't see whether he did or not, the ref blew his whistle for the foul he cannot then change that decision and award a goal - the decision to play advantage has to be made at the time the foul occurs.

i note other posters say that the ref ndicated a goal, which does potn to some inconsistency in decision making, maybe the 4th official reminded him through the earpiece that as he had already blown for a freekick he couldnt give the goal?

Fans want consistency in refs decisions which means that as far as is possible whe

But as I said earlier the Ref blew his whistle straight away before the ricochet and the goal. It was unfortunate but the whistle had been blown.
    Didn't matter in the end anyway

Quote Originally Posted by ellafella
    Didn't move a muscle.

Ref fouled up. A "literal" interpretation of the rules when what was needed was a decision in the spirit of the game. What a shame too many referees have never kicked a ball in their life. [/quote]

How can you have a "literal" interpretation of the rules? IF and I didn't see whether he did or not, the ref blew his whistle for the foul he cannot then change that decision and award a goal - the decision to play advantage has to be made at the time the foul occurs.

i note other posters say that the ref ndicated a goal, which does potn to some inconsistency in decision making, maybe the 4th official reminded him through the earpiece that as he had already blown for a freekick he couldnt give the goal?

Fans want consistency in refs decis

Quote Originally Posted by tomsdubs
    No goal, no advantage can be played when issuing a straight red card. Ref did know what he was doing.
    An interesting interpretation Tom but the Rules of the game per FIFA state as follows:

“Referees should consider the following circumstances in deciding whether to apply the advantage or stop play:
    1. The severity of the offence. If the infringement warrants an expulsion, the referee shall stop play and send the player off unless there is a subsequent opportunity to score a goal..."

The conditional element starting at "unless" would suggest he had the discretion to allow the advantage before the expulsion? Fact is he didn't allow an obvious advantage in that the ball was heading for the net the instant of the handball / rebound. I'd suggest that, like a young ****ager, he came too soon... - view external link

re: That

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet
    No goal, no advantage can be played when issuing a straight red card. Ref did know what he was doing.
    An interesting interpretation Tom but the Rules of the game per FIFA state as follows:

“Referees should consider the following circumstances in deciding whether to apply the advantage or stop play:
    1. The severity of the offence. If the infringement warrants an expulsion, the referee shall stop play and send the player off unless there is a subsequent opportunity to score a goal..."

The conditional element starting at "unless" would suggest he had the discretion to allow the advantage before the expulsion? Fact is he didn't allow an obvious advantage in that the ball was heading for the net the instant of the handball / rebound. I'd suggest that, like a young ****ager, he came too soon...[/quote]

Looks as if that just about wraps it up - the ref ****ed it up! I'm just glad

Quote Originally Posted by ellafella
    Didn't move a muscle.

Fans want consistency in refs decis

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet

The conditional element starting at "unless" would suggest he had the discretion to allow the advantage before the expulsion? Fact is he didn't allow an obvious advantage in that the ball was heading for the net the instant of the handball / rebound. I'd suggest that, like a young ****ager, he came too soon...[/quote]

Sorry Roger, but on my ref course last year they said you cannot play advantage

Intriguing derbyram - I am just quoting the laws as per FIFA, so cannot quite understand why different advice is given on your referee training.

I can see your point about what the "to be sent off" player might do during the advantage period, but surely the ref can use the discretion allowed in the laws and then quickly blow as the advantage breaks down.

In these circumstances, where it is a keeper being sent off and the ball is in his penalty area for a moment before going into the net, I maintain advantage could and should be played. That keeper isnt likely to rush off up to the other end and knock it in the net is he? Most likely thing is that he could fall on the ball at which point the ref can whistle and dismiss him.

Advantage wasn't, and I believe this to be an error of judgement from the ref. Interesting theory that Camp was sent off to cover up the ref's error! Two wrongs trying to make up a right!

Maybe what you were taught was "best practice" for new refs, as oppos

Trouble is its all down to one guy who has to make a decision in an instant. True he could have and probably should played advantage, but as soon as he blows that whistle then play stops irrespective of what the ball or other players did next.

Goals have been ruled out because the ref blew for an infringement by the defence before the attacker scored - the ref cannot undo that decision and award a goal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)