+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Save "The Wanderer

Save "The Wanderer

There is a petition going to save the Wanderer pub being demolished to make car parking space. To help save it go to the address below and sign up.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-the-wanderer

The link below is to the E&S article. - view external link

re: Save "The Wanderer

You can also add the pub that used to be called "The Goal Post. I heard rumours on Wednesday night regarding this. It now appears Asda are trying to purchase the pub and want to build a petrol station on there.

I have happy memories of the the pub going back 26 years. It will be sad to see it go, same as the wanderer pub. - view external link

[quote="wolves71"The Goal Post. I heard rumours on Wednesday night regarding this. It now appears Asda are trying to purchase the pub and want to build a petrol station on there.

I have happy memories of the the pub going back 26 years. It will be sad to see it go, same as the wanderer pub.[/quote]

Gav, I am glad your happy memories of The "Goal Post" only go back 25 years. Back in the day it was called the "Red Roofs Hotel" and was a well known "knocking shop".

Can see no future for the Wanderer ex The Fox as it was hardly used when open and just because Wolves run it is not going to fill it even for 26 days of the year,its just not a viable proposition,sad as it may be. Where were all these people when it was open,certainly not in the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by "WOODLANDSWOLF"The Goal Post. I heard rumours on Wednesday night regarding this. It now appears Asda are trying to purchase the pub and want to build a petrol station on there.

I have happy memories of the the pub going back 26 years. It will be sad to see it go, same as the wanderer pub.[/quote

Gav, I am glad your happy memories of The "Goal Post" only go back 25 years. Back in the day it was called the "Red Roofs Hotel" and was a well known "knocking shop".
    Wow, learn something new every day.

Well the Fox as I remember it was the last stop as we worked our way from the train station to end up in a smoky spit and sawdust pub that lifted my spirits as I knew the next stop was the turnstiles. Plastic glasses, the unity of singing, the occasional 'Key Stone cops' coming in to grab someone or just to say watch it we are here but you only had to look out of the window to see all the horses! Necking the last dregs of larger to get on the South Bank for 2.55 this is how will remember 'my' best merry times as a Wolves young adult supporter.
    But times change, I have signed the petition for what good it will do-it's a case of you had to be there.

I saw this on a Facebook feed too.
    People talking about memories and tradition. That's fine, we all have memories of different things. But the 'memories' word rang true through 95% of the replies.
    People don't use it any more.
    Nobody complained when the row of terraces on Molineux street were knocked down to make way for the John Ireland stand, but I bet there were thousands of memories about them and still are today.

The funny thing is, when those terraces stood and we're occupied, I bet that was the last time the pub coined a moderate non match day profit.
    I have great memories of the home I grew up in and always will. Just because it's been demolished to make way for a We buy any car and rip you off. Com sales outlet, doesn't mean the memories don't exist.
    If we try and save everything that was built ages ago then we are making no room for progress...We need to concentrate on the things that have a proper important significance to the education of future generations. Sadly, a pub

One in each corner at Brentford FC, I believe!

It' just a change in society generally. Pubs have been shutting for the last 10 years, whether it's by Molineux or in your local street. I travel around the West Midlands a bit with my job and I frequently see pubs burned down. What's that all about? Not insurance fraud surely?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)