+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No more Mr Cameo player

re: No more Mr Cameo player

Nope, we shouldn't run the academy at the next category down. Why would we do that? In its current form the academy makes the club a HUGE profit, why would you change it?

It's got absolutely NOTHING to do with the academy that the money that it makes gets ****ed away elsewhere and we all know where that is without me having to explicitly state it.

Quote Originally Posted by alexsi
    Im not saying scrap the academy but like mike I feel maybe it would be better to run at nxt category down. At the end of the day its the 1st team that stops us being a stockport chester etc because if that carries on like it is today we will playing chester sooner than u think.
    Plus its a arrogant view to think other supporters look better on us than chesterfield etc because we have an academy. We are another small club.
    Do we look any better at Peterborough who have sold players in the last few years for alot more money than us. Would you call them a bigger club than us? Would you say there model wouldn't work for us.

But john bowler says ...
    I'm not saying that other clubs look better on us, but quite clearly not many other clubs our size have sustained as much time in the second flight as us. You use Peterborough as an example but they have been funded by Barry Fry for the last decade and subsequently have a budget above their

Do we look any better at Peterborough who have sold players in the last few years for alot more money than us.

Not saying you're wrong but I must have missed this!!
    Who, to where and for how much?
    They don't have to sell like we do because they have that pratt, McAnthony, bank-rolling them!!

Dwight gayle to palace
    mickail smith to brighton
    britt assamlonga to forest
    george boyd to hull

They made a massive profit on these players all signed from non leagu or other sides reserves.
    Just an example but like 15-20 years ago we did the same as well as producing our own.

I know the academy has been done to death but it really is a different proposition than before and even if it costs 600 grand and get 400 grand from the PL/FA, that is still a million pounds EACH year and I personally don't think we should pay most of our revenue on a facility that can be done in other ways for nothing. How so?

Well we spend millions on hope don't we. Hope that a few will come good maybe ten years hence and that seems an unnecessary gamble. Can we seriously argue that OUR kids coming through are better than most others in the PL and CC? Of course you can't and by going to these clubs that have as good if not better facilities than we do one would expect the ones that make it to late ****s will be pretty good otherwise the clubs would have got rid and because so few get into their first teams, there really must be hundreds of these players cut adrift and so why don't we have a good look at them at an age when all the money has been spent on them?

Then as said, th

Dwight gayle to palace
    mickail smith to brighton
    britt assamlonga to forest
    george boyd to hull

They made a massive profit on these players all signed from non leagu or other sides reserves.
    Just an example but like 15-20 years ago we did the same as well as producing our own.

Ok, fair enough.
    Looks like they got a good deal on Assombolonga.

But the others?
    I can't find a figure for Gayle, every link I find says "undisclosed".
    Mackail-Smith went for a few but no more than the type of business we do.
    And as for Boyd, they LOST £60k - bought from Stevenage for £260k, Hull then paid a loan fee of £200k in January - and then signed him on a Free in the Summer when he was out of contract!

In that time, we have sold Westy, Powell, Murph, Max and Pogs, all for a profit.
    I'd suggest our margins were comparable!

I wouldn't say 12.5 million pound on 3 player's is comparable.
    gayle went to palace for 5mill
    mikail smith for 2.5
    assamolonga for 5 mill to forest

[quote="MikeSB"]I know the academy has been done to death but it really is a different proposition than before and even if it costs 600 grand and get 400 grand from the PL/FA, that is still a million pounds EACH year and I personally don't think we should pay most of our revenue on a facility that can be done in other ways for nothing. How so?

Well we spend millions on hope don't we. Hope that a few will come good maybe ten years hence and that seems an unnecessary gamble. Can we seriously argue that OUR kids coming through are better than most others in the PL and CC? Of course you can't and by going to these clubs that have as good if not better facilities than we do one would expect the ones that make it to late ****s will be pretty good otherwise the clubs would have got rid and because so few get into their first teams, there really must be hundreds of these players cut adrift and so why don't we have a good look at them at an age when all the money

I wouldn't say 12.5 million pound on 3 player's is comparable.
    gayle went to palace for 5mill
    mikail smith for 2.5
    assamolonga for 5 mill to forest
    Posh have cumulative losses of £9,.5m so good luck finding someone with deep pockets.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123