+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Happy Thanksgiving

O/T Happy Thanksgiving

Today, Monday, October 13th (second Monday of October), is Thanksgiving Day. Sort of a harvest festival when Canadians eat lots of turkey, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie (in the US it is the 4th Thursday of November...I think, their harvest traditionally coming in later having a longer growing season). As usual it is celebrated here (as in the States) with lots of football (North American styles) on TV.

May your stuffing be tasty

May your turkey be plump,

May your potatoes and gravy

Have never a lump.

May your yams be delicious

And your pies take the prize,

And may your Thanksgiving dinner

Stay off your thighs!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

re: O/T Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving Tundra. Now you've got me thinking--do we celebrate it on the 4th Thursday or the last Thursday in November...? Anyway it's the 27th this year.

Nice holiday, my favorite. More than others we tend to reunite with family. My childhood memories involve hours in the car going to and from family get-together in Texas. And delightful smells emanating from the kitchen, pumpkin and mincemeat pies, candied yams, bread stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and turkey that always seemed a little dry. And playing outside with my cousins who I only saw once a year.

For the last eight or ten years we've had my mother-in-law visit, whom you met in Vancouver. Unfortunately she does not care for turkey, so it will be a pot roast.

Just looked it up, Robus, apparently it is the 4th Thursday of the year in the US, never coming after November 28th. Also found out about Black Friday, the following day, never knew about it till now! Have heard that Thanksgiving Day is so entrenched as a day to visit families that more Americans travel that four-day weekend than over the Christmas holidays.

That really appealed to my sense of humour, Tunds!

Quote Originally Posted by TundraWolf
    Just looked it up, Robus, apparently it is the 4th Thursday of the year in the US, never coming after November 28th. Also found out about Black Friday, the following day, never knew about it till now! Have heard that Thanksgiving Day is so entrenched as a day to visit families that more Americans travel that four-day weekend than over the Christmas holidays.
    I never heard of Black Friday until about twenty years ago. It's not a traditional holiday, more like a made-up commercial event to get people to start their Christmas shopping earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Robus

I never heard of Black Friday until about twenty years ago. It's not a traditional holiday, more like a made-up commercial event to get people to start their Christmas shopping earlier.
    Ironic, as too much spending can put you in the 'red!':/

Makes me wish I was dating a Canadian, at had family up there. I could do with two Thanksgivings in a year.

Black Friday is the absolute worst though. Nice to have another day off, but can't go anywhere without running into a crowd. Usually just stay home and watch a movie, read and hang out with the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf
    Makes me wish I was dating a Canadian, at had family up there. I could do with two Thanksgivings in a year.

Black Friday is the absolute worst though. Nice to have another day off, but can't go anywhere without running into a crowd. Usually just stay home and watch a movie, read and hang out with the dogs.
    I've never heard of people getting a day off work for Black Friday, unless you were already going to get the four-day weekend for Thanksgiving.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)