+ Visit West Ham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLS Will Compete With The Premier League

MLS Will Compete With The Premier League

The sport is getting MUCH bigger here. Beckham started the ball rolling & then the US doing well in the World Cup was the cherry on top. Toss in that NFL players keep getting caught up in wife beating, child abusing & rape scandals & you have the recipe for Soccerball domination.

Some people have even started calling it futbul

------------------------------------------------

Major League Soccer will compete for top stars - Dan Courtemanche

By Richard Conway
    BBC Radio 5 live sports news correspondent
    Major League Soccer will compete with the Premier League for top players in the next decade, according to the league's senior vice president.
    Dan Courtemanche gave a cautious welcome to the prospect of competitive Premier League games in the US.
    And the MLS has expansion plans of its own involving the world's top players and developing home-grown talent.
    "One of our goals is to be one of the top leagues in the world by 2022," said Courtemanche.
    "We also want to have world class sta

re: MLS Will Compete With The Premier League

There are 122 million hispanics in Mexico and they can't compete with European leagues.
    No US TV company will be paying $1.5 billion a year to show the MLS in our life time.
    The NASL had actual non has-been players, some momentum and hype and yet still couldn't crack it.
    Been hearing this for years. First it was NASL, then the J League, then China, now we're back round to the Americans again.

Problem is Sunshine that Football from all parts of the world are now available on television. In the NASL days that wasn't the case. People know who's who in world Football and love when they come here. Hull or NYC? Sunderland or Becks new Miami Club? Now, don't get me wrong, I am West Ham 'til I Die. But to shrug your shoulders about Football in the U.S. would be ignorant. Believe me, it's here to stay and thrive. I just look at how many high level youth programs there are now. Great facilities. I know many kids who play for school and clubs year round. Travelling around to tournaments in the U.S. and abroad. Huge youth international tourneys are held here on a constant basis. Why would people want the sport to fail here, it is a huge market? I just love the sport and want to see quality Football on a regular basis in person. I would love to come back to work and live in England and watch WHU live every week, but I cannot get a work visa. I guess I actually love England and WOULD w

Sunshine? Have we decamped to 1958?
    Anyway, there's a big difference between football staying and thriving as America's 4th most popular sport and it competing with the top European leagues.
    Personally I'd take S****horpe in January over 'Becks' new Miami club -- who if they haven't already got a club motto should go with; Non igitur moventur.

Btw, I'm not sure where you're getting wanting the MLS to fail from. I was just saying it won't be able to compete with the PL. I've got some oil in the garage if that will calm you down...

Quote Originally Posted by Taki
    There are 122 million hispanics in Mexico and they can't compete with European leagues.
    What does this have to do with anything

DC United is the local team here - I don't watch it, even though they are on and off successful. Frankly the expanded premier league coverage on NBC and NBC Live Extra makes MLS even less attractive in comparison. I think MLS is more popular with the Hispanic population.

Quote Originally Posted by dwkestner
    DC United is the local team here - I don't watch it, even though they are on and off successful. Frankly the expanded premier league coverage on NBC and NBC Live Extra makes MLS even less attractive in comparison. I think MLS is more popular with the Hispanic population.
    Hello Mate,

It depends on where you are. The North West has plenty of white fans and Seattle average 40,000 gates.

Orlando get a team next season bankrolled by a wealthy Brazilian & he's already signed Kaka and looking for me. I heard a rumour that Mickey & Goofy might get a call up.

Quote Originally Posted by Taansend
    What does this have to do with anything [/quote]

Exactly. Why does 30% of your fan base being Hispanic make a difference?
    I was just pointing out that vast numbers of ethnic fans makes no difference to either the popular or financial standing of a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Taki
    What does this have to do with anything [/quote]

Exactly. Why does 30% of your fan base being Hispanic make a difference?
    I was just pointing out that vast numbers of ethnic fans makes no difference to either the popular or financial standing of a competition.[/quote] S****horpe, hmmmmmmmmm, Really?

Fair play if the game takes off over there... but... seriously... FFS stop using the word "franchise" ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)