+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are the fans beginning to drift back ?

re: Are the fans beginning to drift back ?

Palmyman, I quote from the book The Queens 1919 -1969 by W Jardine, Editor of the programme: "The crowd of 24,500 paid £1718". Other sources quote your figure of 26,552. Do you know which figure is correct. For what it is worth, the game was played on 23rd February 1952 and I was there. I couldn't really hazard a guess which is correct but I can tell you that Palmerston was bursting at the seams that day.

I have every admiration for the volunteers who put out posters etc in a bid to get support for the club and yes there is previews of the games in the local press, however there is so much more that could be done by club and support.

Players nowadays are full time, and this season in particular, half the team have been out. Why not have some of these players attending schools and youth clubs in the area and give coaching classes to the kids and hand out the odd free ticket if accompanied by an adult. The kids would love this I'm sure and it keeps the injured players working and giving a better image of the club in the local community.

Invite border TV each week to interview manager/players so there's more news of the club getting into the homes of floating fans.

Instead of having a match day programme, have a monthly queens magazine which could be sold in the local shops with articles in each game for the coming month and other features.

For me it's not so much about advertising th

[quote="fatfan"]I have every admiration for the volunteers who put out posters etc in a bid to get support for the club and yes there is previews of the games in the local press, however there is so much more that could be done by club and support.

Players nowadays are full time, and this season in particular, half the team have been out. Why not have some of these players attending schools and youth clubs in the area and give coaching classes to the kids and hand out the odd free ticket if accompanied by an adult. The kids would love this I'm sure and it keeps the injured players working and giving a better image of the club in the local community.

Invite border TV each week to interview manager/players so there's more news of the club getting into the homes of floating fans.

Instead of having a match day programme, have a monthly queens magazine which could be sold in the local shops with articles in each game for the coming month and other features.

yes jr we used to have the fanzine in the late 80s to early 90s ,where posters are concerned i think posters need to be placed around the town like by the midsteeple ,outside shops ,all around the shopping areas of dumfries .

JRsLeftPEG - yes the crowds dropped roughly a 1,000 a year from 1948 from 11,000 to 1964 when we had the last decent average of 4,000. They continued to drop until in 1992 it was only 500 - odd and since then has climbed to our current hard - core 1,700.
    Cresswell - the Jardine book is full of errors - believe me as I actually worked on it in the old hot metal days of the Standard in the High Street. The 26,522 was confirmed a few years ago
    by the SFA - 24,000 was just a guess or an estimate.
    FatFan - Annan Athletic scrapped their programme this season and go with a monthly magazine. A leading light in its production is Alison Bell now Ball formerly press person at Palmy.

People won't generally go to games because there is a perception that Queens are not interested in gaining promotion.
    We might consider being mid table in the second tier as success, but your average punter won't. They might show up for the odd big game, but until it looks like we are genuinely challenging for promotion, they won't attend what they consider to be meaningless games.
    When you haven't been in the top division for 50 years, it is difficult to get people to believe that you really want to get there. People want to go to games that are leading to something. They don't want to go to Queens v Alloa as an end in itself.

If anybody thinks Queens go into a season not looking for promotion then they're so wrong .

Why would the club remain full time if they had NO ambition

The Dumfriesshire public need to wake up and see how far we've come over the last decade or so

Loreburn, that is why the club has to try and sell itself. Yes, advertising games is important, however, it could be argued that the club hasn't tried to sell itself and show what is happening at Palmerston. It likes to say its a community club, but that's a two way thing.

1. The community get involved with the club
    2. The club get involved with the community.

For me it is lacking on both points. To be fair the club has made efforts recently with the open day and coaching courses during the holidays for the kids but I still feel there is so much more that it could do to sell itself to the public. If it could improve on that then I am sure there would be far bigger support at the games and it would rid itself of the age old crap that the club doesn't want promotion.

Unfortunately we can’t force people to come to games. 99% of people that would have a slight interest in coming to the games are well aware when QoS are playing.
    That said I still think the posters are a good initiative as it gets people talking about the club that can only be good.

I also think the comment about the players not doing enough to publicise the club in the town are a bit harsh. Every week in the local papers there are QoS players getting a mention, ones that spring to mind are Reilly handing at awards at Lochar youths, also Danny and Reilly doing their ab workout challenge with Jardi which was featured in both papers and dglife magazine. Not to mention Lyle never being out of the Court file section of the papers.
    Also Dougie still goes round the schools handing out free tickets.

This was quite an informative website although based on the SPL it shows as a country we’re not too far off the pace in terms of the amount of population attending on a match day. - [url=htt

Agree with Tube that it is a bit harsh that the players don't do their bit - Danny, Holty, Gavin are always in the local papers doing presentations etc at amateur clubs and the papers are quite good at publicising Queens - only today there is a two - page photo article on the youngsters at the October holiday coaching. However the club have a Press Officer - life long fan and professional BBC journalist Sandra Brown perhaps she could have a lot more input in plugging Queen of the South F.C.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)