+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How about having a Anglo Scottish Cup and Celtic Cup

How about having a Anglo Scottish Cup and Celtic Cup

I am writing to you with an idea for Scotland to have a cross border cup with league one English sides. I think a cross border trophy with a final played at Wembley between Scottish clubs and English league one sides would be a good idea. Imagine Crewe v Aberdeen in the cup final. Or Glasgow Celtic V Crewe in frront 60,000 at Wembley. I do not want the Scottish and English leagues to merge. But I would like to play English sides more often. It is not too far to travel to Scotland look what the Aussies and Russians have to do.
    I would love Aberdeen to be part of some English football clubs history without actually leaving and destroying the Scottish league.

I am writing to you to ask if you would support my idea for Scotland's premier clubs, the Isle of Man, Irish clubs, Welsh clubs and a Cornwall team to play a new Celtic Cup to help football in the non-Scottish Celtic nations and to help Scotland expand the market for it's football teams. And for Scotland to have a cross border

re: How about having a Anglo Scottish Cup and Celtic Cup

Sorry ...got bored after Para 2.

Nice idea but on top of 46 league games, a reasonable run in both cups and god knows how many games in that Mr Clutch Cup we won a couple of seasons ago, I can't see this catching on with the clubs or their fans.

Aberdeen away on a Tuesday night in January sounds like a hoot. Especially seeing as I read a linesman was once treated for hypothermia up that way.

Doesn't sound to unfeasable, except when you take into account the fact that the game was being played in August.

They had an Anglo-Scottish Cup in the 70s and it failed to attract the bigger clubs. No need to repeat the experiment as far as I'm concerned as it will probably lead to Rangers and Celtic trying to get into the Premier League which we don't want. While we're at it how about getting rid of Swansea, Cardiff and the other Welsh clubs in English Leagues? They have a perfectly good Welsh League they could be playing in.

This seems to be a case of "We have f****d up Scottish football so where else can we get money from.
    If an Celtic comp should progress, then it should NOT involve the top Scottish clubs who already have a chance to play in Europe, but maybe the second tier clubs.

I just don't think clubs in England would be interested. The present system of four leagues, two cup competitions plus the cup for Leagues 1 and 2 works fine without looking to change the system or add another competition.

The Celtic Cup idea is ludicrous. In these days of spiralling travel costs what sense is there in Truro City v Inverness CT? That's a round trip of 1,400 miles!

Crewe v Celtic, yeah sure, no Crewe fans would get in!