+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Michael Higdon - a lesson to us all

Michael Higdon - a lesson to us all

It was obvious to anyone who had even a modicum of intelligence that Michael Higdon would always go on to have a solid career as a target man. His 10 in 81 games meant that his goalscoring record was never great for us but young target men often don't add goals to their game until a few years in (even Shearer only scored 23 in 118 games at his first club Southampton).

His main problem was that he wasn't Dean Ashton or Rob Hulse, and considering he was still developing and in a team that created few chances he was treated disgracefully by the Crewe fans. He was often booed by "supporters" which was totally wrong. He ALWAYS gave 100%. He even scored the goal that kept us up against Coventry.

I've always been proud of what he has achieved - he is a Reaseheath lad and one of us. The ironic thing is that for much of the time since he has left we have been crying out for a player of his type - he would have walked into many of the Crewe teams since, including this one.

His case should be

re: Michael Higdon - a lesson to us all

Each to his own. I never rated Higdon, and did not compare him to Ashton or Hulse. I just don't think he was mobile or versatile enough for a Crewe-style attacker.
    Looks like Sheff Utd don't rate him that highly either.

Good to see him get a reasonably warm welcome back from most of the fans in the ground. He got a ton of stick when he was here (including from me!) but that was because he was being asked to fill shoes that he couldn't get anywhere near. It wasn't his fault and its nice that at least he's not regarded as a complete twonk by large portions of the ground.

I think this has been done to death.

Soe believe him to have been successful, some believe him to have scored goals at a level akin to League 2 in England.

Fact is he is currently in a team in the same league as us and can't get in the team.

The big failure with Higdon was that he came into the first team as a midfielder - who reckoned that was his strongest position?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester
    Each to his own. I never rated Higdon, and did not compare him to Ashton or Hulse. I just don't think he was mobile or versatile enough for a Crewe-style attacker.
    Looks like Sheff Utd don't rate him that highly either.
    I bet that Clough rated this player very highly last night, after he had dumped MK Dons out of the League Cup with two late goals. His record speaks for itself, in that he scores goals wherever he plays. We should be proud that he is another player that the Alex produced from the academy ranks. I don't think that Clough would have signed Higdon if he did not rate him at L1 level.

Quote Originally Posted by alexbarmy
    I think this has been done to death.

Soe believe him to have been successful, some believe him to have scored goals at a level akin to League 2 in England.

Fact is he is currently in a team in the same league as us and can't get in the team.

The big failure with Higdon was that he came into the first team as a midfielder - who reckoned that was his strongest position?
    Don't recall him coming into the first team squad as a midfielder. That was certainly how he was viewed through his Academy upbringing, but by the time he was considered for the first team, Dario saw him as someone he could convert to a forward. Obviously it was a hard time, post Ashton to be learning that role, but ultimately - regardless of what level of football Scottish Premiership may offer - he proved he could be a good strong forward. Without checking his stats I think he managed to score goals against the Old Firm, as well as against the weaker sides; he

Michael Higdon - a lesson to us all

This debate has been regurgitated many times.

Ultimately whilst a Crewe player Michael Higdon never showed the quality or scored enough goals to warrant a regular first team place.

Subsequently he left , sought pastures new and has forged a good career, and fair play to him for that.

However that doesn’t mean he should have stayed, because at the time he simply wasn’t good enough.

Let’s support the players we have now rather than the ones who have disappointed in the past

He played a couple of games for the first team as a midfielder before covering for Ashton.