+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Ray

George Ray

Having seen the edited highlights from the game against Sheffield United and in particular the 2 incidents involving the young centre half, I feel bound to say he was quite fortunate not to receive a red card for the penalty he conceded. He did appear to be the last man making the tackle and if the referee deemed it a foul then he should have gone. Saying that, what a fantastic save by Ben Garratt. A well struck penalty and a superb save. Not a lot gets said about Ben but I think he looks a very good keeper and a product of our Academy.

George looks a very good centre half in the making, but he has an awful lot to learn and he has to keep his mouth shut and let his football do the talking. He could learn a lot from Ben Garratt!

re: George Ray

He needs to keep his hands to himself as well as his mouth I'm afraid.

Can't wait to see the back of him, to be honest.

With the penalty, I think the ref saw it s their attacker nipped in front of GR as he was about to play the ball so no red card. As for putting his hands on the ref, it's the most basic of things that kids learn from the beginning. As was said elsewhere, you could understand it more if they had scored from the attack but they didn't.
    Maybe GR would benefit from a spell on loan in L2 as he isn't yet up to playing in L1 week-in, week-out.

: George Ray

As I’ve said before, he may well be a promising player, but his off the field antics including his twitter account, and then his total indiscipline on Saturday mean overall he’s a liability.

If his contract is up this season let’s get rid !

I actually think George Ray is good enough for this league. Yes, he needs to learn from his mistakes, but we have always played youngsters on the basis that they will make errors but are there to learn. I would expect him to get back in the side when he has served his suspension for what was basically a stupid thing to do.

Personally I believe the criticism of George Ray in this thread is unjustified. Come on, weren`t we all young and stupid at one time and said and done some silly things. It is called growing up, if I remember correctly.

For me I would rather have George Ray in the team any day in preference to Dugdale. George will, and is learning a lot from playing beside Tate. This young boy has a lot of potential,

Give him a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour
    Personally I believe the criticism of George Ray in this thread is unjustified. Come on, weren`t we all young and stupid at one time and said and done some silly things. It is called growing up, if I remember correctly.

For me I would rather have George Ray in the team any day in preference to Dugdale. George will, and is learning a lot from playing beside Tate. This young boy has a lot of potential,

Give him a chance.
    Whilst in essence, I agree, George needs to do some growing up very quickly.

It is to his credit that he almost immediately apologised through his twitter page. However, if memeory recalls, he did get sent off in similar circumstances for the U21s last term.

I don't know the person, so I won't comment on his character, but it appears from an outsiders point of view that most things that we discuss on here involve him in some way!

I hope he learns, and i'm sure he will get the chance to put this behind him. Ul

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour

Give him a chance.
    Dugdale is ten times the player Ray is - if not in pure ability but in attitude. I'd rather have a player with less potential but far less of a liability than someone with bags of potential wasting it by being an arse.

I think Dugdale is a better player than Ray at the moment. Experience counts for so much for a centre half and Dugdale has it in bundles. Ray is still learning. Ray does have a lot of potential though.

With regards his attitude on and off pitch, again he is still learning. He seems to have a bit of a hot headed temperament. To be honest I don't really mind that. Top players need a bit of devil in them. As long as the learning process means he harnesses that aggression in the right way it must surely be a good thing.

It's a shame we couldn't have kept Ellis, Davis and Dugdale as our three centre halves and sent Ray on a long term loan this season to a L2 club or even a Conference club and let him develop/learn in an environment where he wouldn't cost us points. But we are nothing as a club if we don't let our kids develop, and they will only develop by playing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast