+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toots

Toots

It's not harsh it's just an opinion, over the past 3 seasons Matt Tootle hasn't played as well as his promise suggested he could.

Look back at the goals we concede over a period and a vast number come from down the left hand side of the field , that is all I am saying

re: Toots

Quote Originally Posted by supercrewe
    It's not harsh it's just an opinion, over the past 3 seasons Matt Tootle hasn't played as well as his promise suggested he could.

Look back at the goals we concede over a period and a vast number come from down the left hand side of the field , that is all I am saying
    Lets agree to differ on that one then. I believe Toots has been a valuable player for us. Not just in the leadership that he displayed in the back end of last season (he was instrumental in us avoiding the drop in my opinion), but also in his versatility. He's played Right Back, Left Back, Wing Back and in mid-field. However, as I acknowledged earlier, the start of this season has seen a dip in form. I'm sure he's aware of that and is working hard to rectify it - he comes accross as that sort of lad.

Time will tell if he can/will play higher, but I think if we were to release him for any reason, there would be a queue of L1 clubs waiting to sign him.

My point is,

The point I was trying to make was that it was to be hoped that Toots didn't go back into his shell, but that if he did, there might be a more than capable deputy waiting in the wings.

And personally, I'm not unhappy with the little I've seen of Toots at LB. It's not his natural side, but because of that he applies himself grittily, doesn't go bombing forward, and by his powers of concentration stops up the danger on the right wing.

From what another poster has said, the left wing might at times seem not as well guarded.

You say there will be a queue of L1 clubs coming after Toots? Where were they in the close season?

No, thing is we have a habit or the club does of bulling up every player that comes through the academy as a world beater and next England Captain. Maybe not exactly in those terms but as I keep saying, what is wrong with being good enough for mid table L1? IMO it can be detrimental to the players confidence if he then doesn't get the big move and anyway there are loads of clubs in L1 who will have a lot better players than we have and so they can afford to be very choosy and especially if the club place a big fee in the way. Players who have got the move, have been exceptional, I'm sure we all agree but can we say that Toots in in that Category? ButI hope he proves me wrong. I never thought Billy Jones was that exceptional but he proved me wrong too...

I think there are two points I would make regarding Mike's post.

The first is that I don't believe that the club is guilty of talking up a player's potential, that comes from a variety of sources. For example, the FA clearly thought that Garratt, Powell and Clayton were prospects as all were selected for various age group teams and all went to the World Age Group Cup a few years ago, almost the only players from outside the PL Academies to do so. Fans also talk players up if they start well - I can well remember the confidence that we had in Toots as being Brayford's replacement when he moved on.

The second thing is that clubs will always tend to follow players from academies with a good reputation for coaching its players 'the right way' and, like it or not, we enjoy that reputation. We also blood our younger players earlier than many clubs and, as a result, I suspect have a higher apparent drop out rate than many similar academies - hoe many others will have given, for example

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB
    You say there will be a queue of L1 clubs coming after Toots? Where were they in the close season?

No, thing is we have a habit or the club does of bulling up every player that comes through the academy as a world beater and next England Captain. Maybe not exactly in those terms but as I keep saying, what is wrong with being good enough for mid table L1? IMO it can be detrimental to the players confidence if he then doesn't get the big move and anyway there are loads of clubs in L1 who will have a lot better players than we have and so they can afford to be very choosy and especially if the club place a big fee in the way. Players who have got the move, have been exceptional, I'm sure we all agree but can we say that Toots in in that Category? ButI hope he proves me wrong. I never thought Billy Jones was that exceptional but he proved me wrong too...
    You've taken the part of the sentence that you wanted to respond to and

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12