+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dundee United - 24h on

Dundee United - 24h on

There are new leaders in the table. Can we get into a habit by beating Inverness in a fortnight? And will we have a new manager in place?

Friday highlights at the link. - view external link

re: Dundee United - 24h on

Whether you like or dislike Billy Davies he scored one of the best team goals I ever saw at Firpark. It was against Partick Thistle in a 3-1 victory, ump**** passes abley finished off by BD. Think it was at the beginning of big Ecks spell

I remember that goal. There was something like 24 passes before Davies scored. It was during big Ecks spell. It wasn't a raker in the top corner or anything like, it was all down to the build up play beforehand.

Going back to original post I think although we were poor 1 St half as no confidence the effort and play improved dramatically in the 2 nd half and if we can keep that up next couple of months we should be moving in the right direction

really happy to see the team back to winning ways with a spirited performance.

It's also frustrating to see that it took a good guy to walk out, to jolt them into performing as they should have been from day one.

I look forward to see who the manager will be for the next game and hope that this is finally the corner turned to have results more reflective of the squad quality.

I watched highlights of the game on YouTube and there certainly is reason for optimism. The chances we created were better than those of DU I though Ojamma was strong and purposeful hopefuly we can build on this performance and nice tribute from fans to SMC .

Quote Originally Posted by Sup3rw3ll
    really happy to see the team back to winning ways with a spirited performance.

It's also frustrating to see that it took a good guy to walk out, to jolt them into performing as they should have been from day one.
    I agree with most of your sentiments about the team but not so sure about your comment on Stuart McCall. He did seem a good guy and certainly left with a lot of dignity. However I'm not so quick to blame the players. Ok they haven't played well...we all agree about that. Something was not right off the park that much is clear. Whether it was the manager, assistant manager, the players, or indeed others we simply don't know.

Despite all the nice words, its now clear (if it wasn't before) that Stuart McCall or the management team had lost the dressing room. That could be down to a variety of reasons. Fans don't always know what goes on behind closed doors.

the only minor criticism i have about McCall's management style, and it's really nit picking, is that sometimes spurred on by his enthusiasm to get the best out the team he could start to overly micro-manage the players and get involved too much from the sideline. Leaving the players not knowing what there objectives are, or being out of position.. Sometimes i feel you've just got to let a player play and find there own way in the game.

Were we all that much better against Utd ?

Personal view is they could have easily ripped us a new one in the first half but poor finishing kept us in the game.

If they scored first I reckon it would have been the same outcome as previous games.

We grew in confidence as the game progressed, not because SMc has gone but because the opposition didn't score in the opening few mins.

Quote Originally Posted by meister1991
    Were we all that much better against Utd ?

Personal view is they could have easily ripped us a new one in the first half but poor finishing kept us in the game.
    A bit better but not much. Our attitude was much improved in that that we were more aggressive and determined and we did crate more but some of our defending and midfield play was poor.

The game should have been over by half time. However United couldn't hit the target.

Too many players playing out of position and for a large part of the game the tactics were wrong.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)