+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T To Wear Or Not Wear A Poppy

O/T To Wear Or Not Wear A Poppy

In the recent Bolton v Wigan game, James McClean didn't have a poppy on his shirt. His reasons explained in an open letter to his chairman Dave Whelan.

This got me thinking, we all have choices in life, i rarely, if ever by a poppy, but do observe a minutes silence at football matches i attend, and also did so today at 11am.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

re: O/T To Wear Or Not Wear A Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by wolves71
    In the recent Bolton v Wigan game, James McClean didn't have a poppy on his shirt. His reasons explained in an open letter to his chairman Dave Whelan.

This got me thinking, we all have choices in life, i rarely, if ever by a poppy, but do observe a minutes silence at football matches i attend, and also did so today at 11am.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

If you wanna buy one, buy one,fine it is up to the Individual.
    If you don't wanna buy one, fine it is up to the Individual

James McClean didn't want to wear one so that's fine it's HIS prerogative!

I wear a poppy with pride, humility and gratitude every year without fail and I am 100% in support of this symbol of remembrance, and those brave men and women past and present to whom we all owe so much.

One thing I never do, however, is buy or wear a poppy BEFORE NOVEMBER. There is a trend nowadays for public figures, newsreaders etc to wear poppies increasingly early and I don't hold with that. It's for the same reason that I won't go Christmas shopping before December or buy an Easter egg while it's still winter.

I'm heartily sick of all this subtle and often not so subtle pressure from all quarters these days to rush us all through the calendar (and our lives) as though it were a breakneck race.

The years accelerate quickly enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by tony
    I wear a poppy with pride, humility and gratitude every year without fail and I am 100% in support of this symbol of remembrance, and those brave men and women past and present to whom we all owe so much.

One thing I never do, however, is buy or wear a poppy BEFORE NOVEMBER. There is a trend nowadays for public figures, newsreaders etc to wear poppies increasingly early and I don't hold with that. It's for the same reason that I won't go Christmas shopping before December or buy an Easter egg while it's still winter.

I'm heartily sick of all this subtle and often not so subtle pressure from all quarters these days to rush us all through the calendar (and our lives) as though it were a breakneck race.

The years accelerate quickly enough as it is.
    So true Tony and I was so moved by your comments that I have decided to stop sending my Christmas cards in May!

Personally I am in favour of the poppy and the whole Remembrance Day tradition. But over the last decade or so the pressure on people in public life, particularly those who appear on TV, to wear a poppy, has been relentless and this is wrong imo. It should be a matter of personal choice.

I think it's one of the great last old British traditions of being seen to be doing the right thing.
    This year is the only year I haven't worn one.
    Instead I have worn a rubber wrist band launched by the poppy appeal. I have to say, it hasn't fell apart or been creased once!
    I always throw a quid into a bucket whenever I pass one too as it's a wonderful charity that has stood the test of time in helping forces returnees that suffer or bereaved family members.
    I think there is a lot of respect still held for what our men, women and animals gave for us during two horrific conflicts, even from the youth (that can't even show self respect due to what TV is turning them into).
    I hope in another 100 years the gratitude will still be there for our fallen.
    It doesn't bother me if others don't wear one, but it makes my blood boil when some 'English nationals' decide to burn them.

I always wear a poppy, but, like Tony, never wear it before November 1st. In Canada and the States the last days of October focus around Hallowe'en festivities, jocularity, and dressing up to be something you aren't, the last thing a somber occasion honouring those who offered up the ultimate sacrifice of their lives should be connected with, in my mind. Every year I buy a poppy and wear it proudly, usually several poppies since they tend to fall off at the most inconvenient times!

I think Chimp summed it up very well above. I am all for Remembrance and all that goes with it. I have a poppy for this year but have also been on to the Royal British Legion website and purchased some enamel poppy badges as the usual ones get very tatty very quickly. Whilst the enamel ones can be re-used, I will still be donating in future even if I don't take a standard poppy.

Fortunately our family did not lose anybody in either war. One Uncle was captured at Arnhem, but he came back unscathed. I did however, lose several aircrew friends killed during my time in the services so I am aware of the tragedy surrounding the loss of someone close.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)