+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Eddie Clamp would have sorted them out.

Eddie Clamp would have sorted them out.

Found this link on the Burnley board. Well worth a read. - view external link

re: Eddie Clamp would have sorted them out.

Wonderful article mate, thanks for posting. I remember Clampy very well of course, the original "chopper"

Ironically my old man, who was one of the mildest mannered men you would ever meet, actually had the courage to "sack" Clampy to his face. Clampy was, with a couple of his employees, replacing the fireplace in our house. They were taking forever, always drinking tea, smoking fags, standing around yacking etc. So one day my Dad just told them to pack up their stuff and go. And they did! No head butt, nothing, they just went. I think I was a bit disappointed really.

One of the reasons Clampy never got too much hastle off the refs was because when he tackled hard the "victim" didn't do a dying swan act as they do now ,they got up and gave him one when the opportunity arose. Another factor was that they wore proper boots,designed to protect the ankle not the coloured ballet shoes they all wear today with absolutely no protection, hence the number of injuries.

Saw Clampy play quite a bit when I was younger. Remember one day, playing Villa I think, when Clampy kicked one of their players up in the air, and he landed in a heap on the floor. The ball went out for a Wolves throw in. While the player had 3 or 4 minutes treatment, Eddie sat on the ball on the touchline signing autographs for the kids. Those were the days, when footballers were real men.

By the way, I would loved to see him sort Drogba out !!! That would have been fun.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)