+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hibs match

re: Hibs match

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG
    No, we didn't create much but I thought we played some good , composed passing football. Again, I would have snatched your hand off for a point beforehand so am very pleased . Hibs have been on a good run of late .
    Agreed. No failures in the team today. Lovejoy got through an amazing amount of work, and Holt was really impressive. Hibs had lots of possession, but never looked like doing much with it. We looked composed, and a point at Easter Road - especially as Hibs had been on a reasonably good run - is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene_ionesco
    I think it says a lot about how far queens have came that we are disappointed about playing poorly and only getting a point against hibs.
    It also says a lot about how far Hibs have fallen. Dreadful side. Both teams could have played until Monday and not scored.[/quote]

Not an unfair assessment Eugene! Although, to be fair, if you're going to sit back it's best done with a degree of style and composure and I think our back line played impressively enough today. As you hint though, one shot on target would have been good. A point gained.

Quote Originally Posted by John_fi_Skye
    No, we didn't create much but I thought we played some good , composed passing football. Again, I would have snatched your hand off for a point beforehand so am very pleased . Hibs have been on a good run of late .
    Agreed. No failures in the team today. Lovejoy got through an amazing amount of work, and Holt was really impressive. Hibs had lots of possession, but never looked like doing much with it. We looked composed, and a point at Easter Road - especially as Hibs had been on a reasonably good run - is fine.[/quote] Rarely have I seen a Queens side playing as disciplined and cool as that. We were threading the ball through the midfield and there was not many of the aimless punts from the back that we have seen too many times . People should not forget we were playing away at one of the biggest clubs in Scotland , restricting their efforts on our goal. Excellent point.

Just shows how far Queens have came on the pitch when some fans are not happy with a point.A terrible advert for the championship in terms of entertainment and considering the size of the crowd not bad considering the ridiculous £22 admission fee the atmosphere was shocking.
    Felt Queens were very well organised and as other fans have said defended very well and never really looked in danger.
    A big thanks to all at the Hibs club for the friendly welcome and great hospitality shown towards all Queens fans.

Blazerman hits the nail on the head about a measure of how far we have come as a club. I remember playing the likes of Stenhousemuir as an equal for years on end. They were as likely to beat us as we were to them. As far as that goes, the stature AND expectation of the side has risen massively in that time . We should have ambitions to be even better of course but let's have some sense of reality here . Never in my time supporting Queens would fans have grumbled about a draw at Hibs, never ever. The last thir**** years of top 4 finishes etc have changed fans expectations but there needs to be some semblance of balance. I am happy to say that the performance and reputation of QoS ( among opposition fans and managers) has risen big time and could rise some more yet . We are no longer seen as a joke team by others and that includes some in our own town of Dumfries . This upward curve could go on yet .

I have seen plenty of games like this where defences dominate and there is a stalemate.

Grinding out a draw with one of the big boys on there own ground shows how far Queen have come over the last decade.

They refused to be bullied by Hibs and their fans and we now have an experienced team who can play a bit of football and scare the hell out of most teams.

Onwards and upwards.

Excellent posting from JRsLeftPeg which sums up my feelings exactly.

Bobby Williamson, then manager of Hibs, once absurdly said that if the fans wanted entertainment they could go to the pictures. Many more games like yesterday's and perhaps the fans will opt for the pictures. James Fowler is quoted in today's papers as saying that Queens didn't come to defend. In that case he might like to explain exactly why they were at Easter Road because they most certainly did not go there to try to win the game. I cannot recall Queens having a single meaningingful attempt at goal. Hibs were not all that much better although Allan and Cummings did put Zander Clark under a bit of pressure with some long range efforts when our defence simply gave them far too much room: and, of course, Heffernan should have won the game for Hibs in the closing seconds when David Gray laid it on a plate for him, only for Heffernan to balloon the ball away over the bar. A good point for Queens? Yes, if you want to watch negativity. An insult to the fans who had to fork out £22 (£12

some people you just cannot please.

Although QoS didn't manage to get anything on target they still pressed forward many times during the game. It wasn't until 70 minutes+ were played that it became more obvious that we were happy with the point. And why shouldn't we be. We were away from home against a big club and Hibs had been on a decent run of late. That point keeps the 3 point gap between us.
    Had we been 3 points BEHIND Hibs in the league maybe fans could complain about us not being more attack minded for the whole game.

Hibs maybe created more, but not much more. It was a simple case of 2 strong teams in this league cancelling each other out.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG
    Blazerman hits the nail on the head about a measure of how far we have come as a club. I remember playing the likes of Stenhousemuir as an equal for years on end. They were as likely to beat us as we were to them. As far as that goes, the stature AND expectation of the side has risen massively in that time . We should have ambitions to be even better of course but let's have some sense of reality here . Never in my time supporting Queens would fans have grumbled about a draw at Hibs, never ever. The last thir**** years of top 4 finishes etc have changed fans expectations but there needs to be some semblance of balance. I am happy to say that the performance and reputation of QoS ( among opposition fans and managers) has risen big time and could rise some more yet . We are no longer seen as a joke team by others and that includes some in our own town of Dumfries . This upward curve could go on yet .

Thats a great post from JR, to

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)