+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Kelvin Mellor

Kelvin Mellor

Anyone see him for Plymouth yesterday on Sky?

They are 4th in league 2 and many plymouth fans rate him as their best player.

They play him as a wing back but he seems to pretty much be a right winger, slaughtered porsmouth yesterday with pace, skill and vision.

Set up all 3 goals

Video is on sky sports website, someone post a link as I can't.

why did we let him go

re: Kelvin Mellor

Because he was expensive and did not live up to the hype? :-)

These words may bite me severely in the rear (hoping for good result on Tuesday) but Plymouth are a division below us and meet opposition that is not Div 1 standard.

Disagree totally AL and the chairman told me a couple of weeks ago he was released for football reasons not anything to do with finances. to which my reply was a, I don't believe you and b, if that is true sd should have been sacked there and then. baffling how an out of position guthrie was preferred to Kelvin last season. IMO kelvin had one bad game guthrie had a fairly long run of poor games which of course was not his fault as the lads a centre back not a fullback. I think kelvin will play at championship level one day very poor management on our part I think to let him go

Mellor was very poor all season and was rightly left out of the side. Guthrie did very well when he played last season and by and large has done very well this season. This, of course, doesn't make Mellor a bad player, but by his performances last season he found himself down the pecking order. I am delighted to hear that he is re*****ised down at Plymouth and hope he progresses in the way we thought he would a couple of years ago. As for the manager being sacked for letting him go, well I am sure we don't want to be supporting a club where decisions over players are not down to the manager.

Let's not go down that well worn path of remembering an ex player as been better that I was.

Kelvin had a poor start to the beginning of last season, in a defence containing Alan Martin, Mark Ellis and Gregor Robertson and like the others lost his place and all were subsequently released.

The last 3 weeks with Ben Garratt , Adam Dugdale,Jon Guthrie and Harry Davis all knitting together as a unit suddenly makes those decisions look good ones.

I understood that Kelvin Mellor leaving was for football reasons, in the sense that both parties were happy about the release as Kelvin and the club had previously been approached by John Sheridan about a move which would guarantee him first team football.

Interesting to note that the four players who started last season are all playing in lower divisions now !

It is interesting to see that they are all playing a league lower. The one I felt we should have kept was Mark Ellis but now I suspect that we miss him less than I expected although it must be said that didn't seem to be the case a couple of months ago.

Our defence looks far stronger without Matt Tootle, at last we have a right back who is restricting the number of crosses going into the box.

Tootle will be the next player leaving by the back door at the end of the season !

To be honest I've no opinion on Mark Ellis, he always gave 100 per cent when he played, but we seldom missed him when he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58
    It is interesting to see that they are all playing a league lower. The one I felt we should have kept was Mark Ellis but now I suspect that we miss him less than I expected although it must be said that didn't seem to be the case a couple of months ago.
    Mark Ellis doing very well at Shrewsbury,as are the team only 2 positions seperate us from them.

Ellis was on the bench yesterday and did n't get on so he can't be doing that well if he currently can't get in a team in the league below...

It's not as if letting him go was a massive clanger - it's marginal - some wish we'd tried to keep him, some are n't so bothered...

Agree with timmy and supercrewe on Mellor - Baillie has done well but would n't have got a look in if Mellor was still here.

I'm glad Mellor is doing well but even if he does go on to establish himself as a Chapionship player eventually (and that's some way off), I won't think letting him go was a mistake, he needed a change of environment.