+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Academy - not just football training

Academy - not just football training

I read that Neil Lennon (legend of this parish and graduate of the famed Academy) picked up a letter written by a 9-year-old Bolton fan applying for the job he got.
    So Neil went to see him and his mates and did the full hospitality bit. They now have a real live hero to worship!

Well done Dario - you know how to nurture talent in so many ways. :-D - view external link

re: Academy - not just football training

It is indeed great to see Mr Lennon going about things in the right way, nurturing supporters for his club.

However, not that I am one to split hairs (all right I am!) but Neil wasn't technically a graduate of the Alex Academy, only joining us at the age of 19 when he was released by Manchester City. He did, however, set a new trend when he became the first current Alex player to play as a full international for 60 years! . . . and the last to move at throw ins to help the thrower out

He was a great signing came to Crewe as a full back and Dario converted him into a midfield player, for me an all time great, great leader , great captain, great player

Him and Platty both, though in slightly different ways.

When Platt played for us, he would adopt a kind of American football quarter-back's position near the right touchline, scanning the field to see how to direct play. In the higher divisions he came inside more.

But with Neil, it was exactly the opposite. With us he was happy enough in the boiler room (and when did you ever see him dispossessed?), but in the twilight of his career, with Celtic, he took on the quarter-back, but on the left touchline. Again he never could be parted from the ball, but by now he was feeding tiny wee passes sideways, i.e. not so forward-going.

When will we see their like again?

Dario had an eye for a premiership reject, some of whom like Neil and Platty are now coaches - you can add Craig Hignett to that list.

I seem to recall Ashley Ward as a Citeh reject too . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex
    Dario had an eye for a premiership reject, some of whom like Neil and Platty are now coaches - you can add Craig Hignett to that list.

I seem to recall Ashley Ward as a Citeh reject too . . .
    We paid £80k for Ash whilst the others mentioned were freebies.