+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alex versus Leyton Orient

re: Alex versus Leyton Orient

Back at the bottom again after Yeovil get a late winner against high flyers Notts.
    How come LO can score a goal,34 sec`s,after we`ve taken a corner,something wrong there.
    SD if you read this we need a STRIKER,10 shot`s on goal,but only 2 on target,is not good enough,true the defence was rubbish,but you can`t win games without goal`s.
    Also have a look at how young Vadaine got on today at Mansfield.

Wasn't there, and it would be wrong to criticise the lad if the goals were not his fault, but it's an amazing coincidence that a heavy drubbing follows George Ray's recall to the team.

What worries me is that this sends out completely the wrong message to Tate, who had organised our defence quite a lot better, and who wasn't altogether ruling out coming to the Alex. He'll probably think better of it now.

Ray is an accident waiting to happen and a problem that will keep for now, but let's at least try to cement Tate's loyalty first.

I don't blame Ray at all, just the manager for selecting him. The only way I would have wanted Tate to play was if he was part of the usual 2 centre half regime and not a 3 man rearguard offensive.

I was almost correct with my assumption that the defence would crumble today (It was worse than the three goals I feared) and I got it wrong that we would not get on the score sheet. Bad result this one against one of our rivals at the bottom. Doncaster next up and they won away today.

Sorry to say I was there. Awful journey, arrived a minute before kick off. Not bad in the first 20 minutes but the attack was obviously lightweight. Saunders and Waters kept getting brushed off the ball. THeir first goal came from nowhere - a simple cross to a unmarked centre forward. Nor sure who to blame but must be one of the back 3. Couldn't do anything about their second goal - great volley. For the rest of the half they let us pass sideways and then intercepted at will. First 20 minutes of the second half was how the first finished - no ideas up front, sideways passing and them intercepting with a bit of muscle. Couldn't understand why Davis didn't change anything because we were impotent going forward. Their third was unfortunate because Garrett made a good save and four of our defenders were around for the rebound but it fell straight to their forward. Still no changes!!! Grant's was a stonker but out of the blue - no build up as such. Then the changes and we actually looked go

So what's the answer?

I am puzzled as to suddenly why Tate is unable to make the team, did really well when he arrived ,made a huge impact on the team , but since he's got back to fitness, a permanent fixture on the bench ?

Ooops!

My thoughts ... FWIW!

At HT, I had Harry down as our best player, very composed when on the ball. By FT, no surprise but it was Grant yet again – just keeps going – and what a strike! And fair play to him after the game. He seems to acknowledge the fans more warmly than others – but then again, he must feel his performances warrant it!! And he’s not wrong!

As for the team selection, I think SD was right to go with 3 CHs because that has been key to our recent defensive record – 3 goals in 7. We can all argue about the make-up of those 3. I think Guthrie was unlucky to miss out if his performance at Bramall Lane – AS A LEFT BACK! – was deemed sub-standard! If he was to make that change though, I too would have re-introduced Tate now that he is fit again as he was unquestionably one of the catalysts of our recent good run! Clearly yesterday the formation didn't work – but at least SD did something about it!

I guess most people's gripe (mine too!) was his timing! It was striking that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12