+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Would it be a disaster if Crewe got relegated?

Would it be a disaster if Crewe got relegated?

Many times in the past, I have drawn parallels with us and Arsenal – originally around longevity of managers when Dario was in charge, then on style of play, now on what would be regarded as a disaster.
    I started to think about this after Arsenal’s defeat against ManU at the weekend and the latest calls for Wenger’s head.
    We can all argue the whys and wherefores of a manager’s performance, his shelf life, etc. but surely it all boils down to meeting targets.
    I get the feeling the most important one at the Emirates is top 4 every season and the Champions League.
    Being the most expensive team to watch in the UK, I guess it is essential they maintain this.
    So if, as seems possible this season, Arsenal do fail to reach theirs, maybe, just maybe, it is finally time for Wenger to go, in spite of all the good he has done.
    I think it would constitute a disaster for them if they miss out on the Champions League.

So what is the equivalent for us? – relegation to L2? – or, as I see it, exit from

re: Would it be a disaster if Crewe got relegated?

Don't think the board would think it would be a disaster only relegation from L2 would be that.

Wenger has stayed too long and all good things come to an end and time he moved on.

SD must be given time but is not helping himself with the constant chopping and changing of the team. We do need some decent Strikers but doesn't every team? If we stay in the bottom 4 then its a toss up whether to get more loans in or to try and give the kids an extended run. eg Resting Walters is understandable but maybe counter productive to his form and confidence as it is to any player who has played well and then dropped the next game.

He has shown he can do it when he took over from Dario and lets hope he can again. I think if we did get relegated and then go into the bottom six like Tranmere and Carlisle have, then the case for a change would be unchallengeable. The board would act then as they did before. But that is perhaps being too pessimistic and lets hope it all comes together.

I have to firmly agree with both of you (how boring ;-)), however I do think that the structure of league football has changed dramatically in the last few years.
    'Sugar daddies' were around, but there did not seem to be the same level of 'in it for the money'.
    Clubs were owned, not for property portfolios, but for paying football on; Chairmen were independently wealthy local football fans giving something back to the community; Boards were focussed on the club, not financial survival. That's not going back to a golden era: all those criteria were around well into Dario's reign.

It is testament to our Chairman and most of the Board that we are: 1. in Div 1; 2. not facing liquidation; 3. have never gone into Admin; and 4. have a brilliant reputation throughout English football (and my among m Scottish friends).

So, no, it wouldn't be a disaster if we dropped. Three years ago last month, I actually stated that even if we dropped to the Conference, I'd still drive over every other Satur

Disaster is the wrong word. It would be disappointing but not terminal. The foundations of the club are excellent and as a result I think we will be in the football league for a long time to come. It is difficult for a manager at a club like Crewe to attract proven players that will make a difference which is why our forays into the loan market are sometimes not all we would want. For example, neither Brandy nor Haynes can be described as a compete success. Haynes through not looking interested and Brandy because I don't think he has ever been fully fit. But that should not stop us using this facility to try and maintain our league one status and avoid the disappointment (or disaster) of relegation.

No, it would n't be a disaster - the manner in which it happens (if it does) is important though.

Our start to the season suggested we might get relegated with between 20 and 30 points without ever getting competitive which could've been disastrous in the sense that it might well have led to a hangover next season. We now look competitive and I don't think League One is particularly strong this year either so we have half a chance.

Some will find this unpalletable but we have two second year pros in Billy Waters and Liam Nolan, 6 or 7 first year pros some of whom are already starting to make an impact at L1 level and, based on what I've seen in the Youth Cup games, I could see us signing up to eight of those players (some will be first year scholars of course) - it might actually be easier for these lads to flourish initially in League Two.

I think the medium term is promising because the signs are that we have two successive years where a crop of good youngsters have all come along

No disaster as Crewe A have proved over many years they can cope with Failure its Success they can not cope with. As far as young kids coming through if there any good! They only be here for half a season, and gone.
    Its that Trap Door that will be the Disaster as you can bet Crewe will go Dangerously near to it, some things in life are a Certainty.

Yes they did seem to stay longer than now and down to pressure of the need to balance the books and needs of the player who is obviously eager to move on. Dean Ashton had 4 or 5 seasons which may surprise many now.

This team right now would struggle in L2, look at Tranmere now. 2nd bottom and 6 pts adrift!