+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Just heard

Just heard

About the Phil Hughes tragedy. So sorry to hear about that. Best wishes to his family and to Sean Abbot who must feel awful.

re: Just heard

Quite shocking really. Playing a sport you love and then out of the blue...

Must be tough for his family, and friends, and reckon the bowler won't be the same again either.

I did have a debate with a mate as to whether wearing helmets gives players a false sense of security that 20 odd years ago they'd have ducked out of the way, moved to square leg, shouldered arms or whatever. There's a greater tendency these days to stay in the line of fire.

Freak accident.

RIP

As Nuc says, freak accident. Ball hit him round the back of the head/neck. Only 2nd incident of its kind in 200 years. Total freak but heart breaking all the same.

Thoughts with those close .

Tragic accident. Awful. Really feel for his family who must be devastated. I cannot imagine what the bowler is going though right now.

Not being a cricket watcher/player, I never really appreciated how hard and fast those balls travel until a boy I was at school with lost an eye after being hit in the face during a game.

My thoughts go out to all those affected.

I thought about starting a thread when then incident occurred, but I didn't know what to say.

Very numb feelings down under, people who don't even follow cricket have been really affected.

A day later I found out that old friends of the family just lost their 15 year old boy.

(Just shows me how blessed I am.)

There's talk of cancelling the first test of the summer.

I also really feel for the bowler.

Just thought I'd add that a very good friend who mentored my son as a Grade cricketer (aged 15) was an umpire in the match.

I've been in contact with him and met up on Saturday. I think he'll be fine but he does need a break for a couple of weeks.

Played a lot of Cricket up until 1983 (pre-helmet era), two seasons with Warkwickshire 2nd XI. I was hit a few times around the head as an opening bat and this incident makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.
    I couldn't face watching the England one-dayer yesterday after shedding a few tears watching Sky's tribute, he was such a lovable jovial chap. I see an umpire in Israel has died this weekend after being struck in the jaw.

Will the Cricket ever be the same again? For the sake of the week's tragic victims (incl the poor bowler) I hope in time, that it will.

They will forever be my Beacons, of the sport they loved.

Quote Originally Posted by yubbywelch
    .A day later I found out that old friends of the family just lost their 15 year old boy.

(Just shows me how blessed I am.)
    I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's son, too, Yubby. It must be just about the worst thing than can happen to anyone.

Sadly, tragedy always makes us realise how lucky we are. It's so sad that we ever have to find it out ...

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)