+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wages..

Wages..

What was your first job and first wage when you left school..

In 1974
    I done a couple of jobs for nearly a year after leaving school worked in the fish for a couple of weeks then got a job tiling packed that in to get a job as a 1st year apprentice plumber..where they paid me 17p seven**** pence an hour after a few weeks when the unions were good we got a pay rise to 23p..

Those were the days

re: Wages..

After college I started work for an company what distributes security products for 8k an year. An bloke worked there what used to lie anbout his wealth and lifestyle (like jojo) and got GEET upset once when I challenged him on it (like jojo).

He drove an Robin reliant (jojo can only dream).

Left school at 16 to join Swindon Town, 21 pounds a week they paid me. They bought our boots but we had to buy our own training kit. Three months later I made the big money move to Tesco pet food aisle, I waived my signing on bonus but they put me on 78 quid a week plus blue overall.

My first job was a summer job in 1971 when i was a student, Tyre Fitter. It took months to get the carbon black off my hands. Can't remember the wages

My first proper job was as an Accounts Clerk for Bowater Paper Co in Ellesmere Port, again can't remember the salary. I started work on the 10th October 1974 which for psephology* fans was an election day

* odds on favourite for wotd

Summer of 1990 i started at Metal Box in carlisle earning £80 a week packing baccy tins into boxes.
    I was only there for an month before I changed jobs and went to Nestle for a £15 per week pay rise.

1973 Trainee roofer £16 a week,can't remember how much i had to give my mum for her Keep.

Left school at six**** cos I couldert face the prospect off of another ump**** years of what seemed like more school to me.

Joined the marvellouslyd Geary Blair Weed & Dickinson* Partnership in Bolton as a trainee Architectural Technician on the princely sum off of twenty quid a week. All me mates who were working were on double that.

* Dickinson's first was Sebilius. Still to this day the geetest I of ever heard.

How is that a ****ing sweary you ****s? edit

GGood to see different stages and to where we are now..
    I always thought retirement was a lifetime away isn't it amazing how quickly time passes in different stages of life.. I'm thinking once you hit 50 it's downhill which is worrying Mind you my 87yr old dad says he's ready even though he still gets about rather well.. I will never be ready coz I like to see things happening wild life people watching its all interesting.

I didn't stay on at school either

Filing clerk £3 15 shilling I gave my mom £2.10 & I had the rest for myself

then receptionist at a solicitors office, I can't remember the salary
    later I enrolled at college & did accounts
    worked for a major brewery for 20 years as credit controller /accounts team leader
    then made redundant as the offices were relocated.
    Went back to college & studied beauty therapy massage & nail art worked for a friend for 5/6 yesrs then bought my own salon

I left school and two weeks later i called into our local laundry and asked if they had any jobs going,they said that one of there workers was getting married that Saturday and would pay me cash to work just for that day packing linen into bags,I was there for seven**** years,I think my first weekly wage was 29 quid...

I worked my way up to being a HGV driver for them then one day I couldn't face going in anymore and i never went back...

About a month later I was visiting my sister in hospital when she was having her baby and bumped into someone I knew that worked there,got an interview for a porters job and have been there since...

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)