+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Hector

Kevin Hector

Hello Rams,
    Bit of a random question - probably for the older generation.
    I read a post today by my friend Oldtimeram about Alan Hinton, and it got me thinking about the great Derby County team of the 70's and the things I used to hear as a kid on the terraces of the Baseball ground.
    I'm sure fans used to refer to Kevin Hector as 'Zac'? - does anyone else remember this? And if so, does anyone know why?

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

re: Kevin Hector

Hi DJay

Your memory serves you well. Indeed King Kevin was known as Zak. Why I do not know, but I am sure someone will provide an answer.

In the sixties we had a midfielder by the of Mick Hopkinson, who nicknamed Kevin Hector the "King".
    There was a TV series on at that time called "United" and one of the characters, Zak Bishop, was known as "The King".
    Hopkinsond Hector"The King" after the character from the series and the Zak stuck after that.

My favourite Rams player of all time.Hope this helps.

Cheers I did not know that. Along with Gladys, Kevin was my hero and a fantastic player in a great team.

I went to see United (the TV program one) play Burton Albion at Eton Park. The real Zak (TV one) played.

[quote="sheffieldrams".
    There was a TV series on at that time called "United" and one of the characters, Zak Bishop, was known as "The King".
    Hopkinsond Hector"The King" after the character from the series and the Zak stuck after that.

My favourite Rams player of all time.Hope this helps.[/quote]

Sheffieldrams, many thanks for the answer, I agree that Zak was an outstanding player, I used to love watching him play, and could never understand why he didn't get more international caps than he did??? - those were truly great days for Derby, and although I'm not a Derby fan (my father was, and used to drag me to all matches back then), the night of the 'destruction' of the mighty Real Madrid, will be etched in my memory forever... Put into context today...it was some achievement!!

Just found this.......blimey a blast from the past

Brilliant OTR, I think I missed this 1st time around (the thread and the era!)

All the explanations are spot on.

Djay66. Not just Hector but Todd and Mcfarland as well ought to have got more caps than they did. The reason? They were from Derby and not London, Manchester, Liverpool or L**ds. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    All the explanations are spot on.

Djay66. Not just Hector but Todd and Mcfarland as well ought to have got more caps than they did. The reason? They were from Derby and not London, Manchester, Liverpool or L**ds. Simple as that.
    And for those wanting to check out ‘United’ to see if Zac the TV character was as good as Zak the footballer (he wasn’t)....tough ****, ALL episodes were ‘wiped’ not long after broadcast. I remember it as a footy mad five/six year old and was amazed to discover this when I sought it out a few years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)