+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: penalties

penalties

Help! One for the refs on this site. If a side has a player sent off and the game goes to penalties do they only have 10 penalty takers assuming it goes all the way?

re: penalties

Quote Originally Posted by steelydon
    Help! One for the refs on this site. If a side has a player sent off and the game goes to penalties do they only have 10 penalty takers assuming it goes all the way?
    That's easy.

IF it goes past ten kicks they start all over again and if there was just 9 on the field with 2 sent off, they would start again after 9.

Anyone know if this has happened ever?

So the team with only ten men are not penalised at all, apart from playing with only ten men for a portion of the match?

Except that the team with all 11 players can choose which player does to have to take a penalty, presumably.

So if it were the Alex, if past performance is anything to go by, there would be a long list of poor spot kick takers we could elect to drop from the list!

Or is that not how it works, Mike? Over to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex
    Except that the team with all 11 players can choose which player does to have to take a penalty, presumably.

So if it were the Alex, if past performance is anything to go by, there would be a long list of poor spot kick takers we could elect to drop from the list!

Or is that not how it works, Mike? Over to you!!
    I just guessing now!

But I would suggest that after the initial 9/10/11 players have taken their pen kicks, another list would have to be given to the Ref where the manager could decide on the order which may be different from the previous list given to the Ref. I would also suggest even that could be subject to change if say one player got cramp and could not take it that was on either the first or second list. Its a good question that IF in our case the manager told the ref that 8 of our players had cramp and could he use the same players over and over?

Great question actually.

Its exactly as I said...see FIFA rules below.

Good aren't I!

Only if a player is injured who is on the field of play before the pens are taken, they may be replaced by a sub up to the number allowed ie 3. If they have not been used. If one then becomes unavailable because of eg cramp, the next one on the list can go next but it doesn't explain if the one with cramp can then go later IF it was necessary. I would guess so. But its doubtful if it ever gets to this point when nobody is the winner in the first instance. - view external link

I think in a shoot-out it should be fairer that a team with 10 players and no-one to take the 11th (due to a red card) should forfeit their 11th shot altogether, while the team that didn't cheat and lose a man should retain their opportunity to score.

On a same (ish) subject, I'd also like to see for those who are subbed off having been booked, their replacements come on starting with a yellow card. Why should you be able to 'tactically' take a yellow card (ie cheat) then get subbed off only to have your replacement get a tactical yellow too and to remain on the pitch? It's a very obvious, and often exploited, technical loophole in rules that unfortunately favours unsportsmanship.

PS

My views are probably influenced by the Alex's fair play record... and proud of it!

Excellent link Mick, thanks.

Page 28 says that if a team finishes a match with more players than their opponents then they nominate a player who doesn't have to take a penalty.

However, Page 30 then says that if a team loses a player during the shoot out through injury or sending off then the other team doesn't have to reduce their numbers. Confusing huh?

Good job it didn`t apply to last night`s FA tie,hard luck Worcester,would have loved to have seen them go through.