Get your very own personalised Views from the Kop gifts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curtis Thompson

re: Curtis Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by furiousbilly_pie
    I'm not convinced by this kid, maybe in an ideal world could have done with going out on loan. Some interesting contract renewals for next season.
    I suspect he'd be a given. A home grown player who will be earning a pittance and can cover a variety of positions is a god send at this level.

Worth mentioning he hasn't been a calamity every game he's played at full-back. Away at Peterborough he was sensational against one of the best wingers in the division in Jon Taylor - even if he was a full-back, I still wouldn't be writing him off considering he's only just turned 21.

He's not a full-back though obviously, he's a central midfielder who finally found his feet at the end of last season. He's a victim of his own versatility in a way, I didn't judge Neal Bishop after a couple of bad games as an emergency full-back, I wouldn't judge Liam Noble as a player if he had to play at right-back so I'm not judging Thompson either. If he gets a chance in midfield and under-performs, then we'll talk.

To be honest I thought along with McKenzie he was probably one of our best players first half against Preston. Worth remembering he was playing a slightly more advanced wing back role which took a bit of pressure of his defensive duties.

He probably produced one of our most exciting moments when he skinned their left back and put in a decent cross in the first half.

Second half he did seem to lose his head a little but he wasn't the only one as we tried desperately to get back in the game.

Personally I still think he has something to offer even as cover for Muzzy.

Well for what its worth I happen to like him. Its not his fault that he is being played out of position. I remember earlier on this board people slagging of Hollis, and now look at where he is..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie
    Well for what its worth I happen to like him. Its not his fault that he is being played out of position. I remember earlier on this board people slagging of Hollis, and now look at where he is..
    What Sneinton Dale?

Some excellent posts on here from Jacob/AWM/Purewal et al. Good to see some people still take pride in young players coming through and are prepared to give them that extra bit of patience.

Especially when the players in question have shown many times that they have good basic technique and application to deserve it.

Elite,sounds like you're a good judge of a player! As a youngster,Curtis was a stand out central midfielder in his kids teams all the way through into our academy. Thing that baffles me is why do we try and turn kids into full backs when they have never played there before? Ditto Kyle Dixon,good central midfielder.Never a full back in a million years as Derry has told him.Whats the odds he doesn't get a contract extension at the season end I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by cliftonceltic
    Elite,sounds like you're a good judge of a player!
    Dunno where you get that from - I once said Gavin Gordon was a good signing. For what it's worth, I would like to see Curtis Thompson get a chance in a central midfield role, preferably alongside an old head like Gary Jones. Thompson has bags of energy, and he's stronger in the tackle and better in the air than you might expect from someone his size. A replacement for Noble maybe?

Elite,sounds like you're a good judge of a player! As a youngster,Curtis was a stand out central midfielder in his kids teams all the way through into our academy. Thing that baffles me is why do we try and turn kids into full backs when they have never played there before? Ditto Kyle Dixon,good central midfielder.Never a full back in a million years as Derry has told him.Whats the odds he doesn't get a contract extension at the season end I wonder?
    How much did elite pay you to say that Clifton?

The problem is we have a squad full of midfield players.

Talk about player assassination. It's not just Curtis Thompson that's suffered the topic bullet, it's nearly every player in the team. I bet all the loanees are glad to be out of it. Well nearly as glad as I am to see them go. Curtis offers the team more than any of them did.
    New Year, new chance to put things right
    Carroll, Cranston, Mullins, Hollis, Dumbuya, Thompson, Noble, Jones, G. Thompson, and two new forwards who are mobile and know where the net is.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie
    Elite,sounds like you're a good judge of a player!
    Dunno where you get that from - I once said Gavin Gordon was a good signing. For what it's worth, I would like to see Curtis Thompson get a chance in a central midfield role, preferably alongside an old head like Gary Jones. Thompson has bags of energy, and he's stronger in the tackle and better in the air than you might expect from someone his size. A replacement for Noble maybe?[/quote]

Noble should be back before/after Bristol. I've always thought a midfield 3 with Jones, Thompson (box to box) and Noble/Wroe would be something we could explore. You've got all elements covered then I think.

Like AWM said earlier, the worse thing about him is his versability and given the positions we lack in (wingers and a right back) then we're gonna play fringe players there and essentially lose points because of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12