+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Second phase offside rule

Second phase offside rule

Does anyone understand this, see it applied? Or does it no longer exist?

Take Spuds first goal at Leicester, for example.

Through ball to an onside Chadli (I think) with Harry Kane 2 or3 yards offside in the middle.
    Game carries on, with Chadli clear down the left, with Kane now 2 yards ahead of the Leicester defence, in the right position for the cross and tap in.

They scored a similar goal v Burnley (which is showing a trend and may indicate they are exploiting this "rule").

In my opinion, Kane gained an unfair advantage, as a result of being offside in the build up, so, again IMO, the goal should have been disallowed under the so called "2nd phase" rule of offside.

Life was so much simpler, before they messed with this rule

re: Second phase offside rule

No I have never really understood it, and I am not convinced that the officials do either.

Agreed, life was much simpler before they messed up the rule. As Danny Blanchflower once said " if he's not interfering with play, then what is he doing on the pitch".

For younger posters, Danny Blanchflower was a great old wing half (midfielder) in the 1950's/1960's. He was also quite outspoken and controversial for his time and famously refused to appear on This is Your Life. He also was one of the first pro footballers to appear on the adverts for Shredded Wheat his punch line being " pass the hot milk please".

I'm rambling, I'll get me coat and the zimmer frame

re: Second phase offside rule

It's a simple game made complicated. I'm sure someone must have said that and if they didn't they should have. For the most part I think these are done with good intentions but end up making things worse;

Players being blatantly hacked down as they looked like scoring.
    Good intention. Introduction of the professional foul and sending off's.
    Result. Players diving all over the place and Ref's unsure of who did what.

Players scoring perfectly good goals only for an offside flag to rule it out because someone, many yards away and not involved, was offside (example Keegan's 'goal' for us )
    Good Intention. Give more advantage to the forwards through the second phase rule
    Result - see above posts. Next up (imo) will be

Decisions that later turn out to be incorrect when scrutinised through the many cameras now at games.
    Good intention. Introduce technology during the game.
    Result. Like the two above it'll be a slow burner but I can't see it going any differently than the other good