+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stuart McCall and his 'legacy'

re: Stuart McCall and his 'legacy'

look at his post war records, they are some real bitter folk on here thank god not all as above post proves

hey 9 of the 11 that started are still here

http://youtu.be/yZYT3_qdOGU

Our club captains have a lot to answer for

The problems at Motherwell go much deeper than any one man. Stuart McCall worked wonders with little, or no money. What is amazing is not the fact that we are rubbish this season, it is the fact that with this "Rubbish" he did so well over the last few years. Of course he made mistakes, EVRY manager does. I hope that with the new financial backing, we can have a root and branch re-re-organisation of the club. If Not, we will keep going on a downward spiral.

[quote="bheron" he did so well over the last few years. Of course he made mistakes, EVRY manager does. I hope that with the new financial backing, we can have a root and branch re-re-organisation of the club. If Not, we will keep going on a downward spiral.[/quote]

100% spot on, time took its toll, anyone could see despite gaining more points each year under mccall he was replacing good players with average due to costs.

that itself shows what a remarkable achievement it was to finish best of the rest again last year.

as for lawman etc, bitter wee bhoys who really need to get the old firm syndrome out their tiny wee heids

Canny blame McCall for that yesterday, that was squarely at those players feet. Hutchy and Anier made big difference last year for sure. They have been poor all season, but I have never seen a performance like that from a well team, McCalls signings, obviously, but they have to want to play, never mind want to win. Disgraceful. Worrying thing is I don't think enough of them will give a toss today.
    The club is in bother from top to bottom, training/youth/scouting set up. Stadium. Financial set up. Cash generation. Contracts. Selling players. That wasn't McCalls department, that was Dempster and the boards, all the above need addressed.
    Start by clearing out Black, Johansson and Leitch. They need to go if we are to make a fresh start. Need some balls and leadership. The fans will be more supportive if we had a plan, right now on and off the field we are a shambles.
    To be humiliated by a team the size of Gretna just about finished me...happy New year

Fed up with the two urban myths that keep getting raised every time there is a defeat this season;

1. Not fit enough, 2. McCall signing policy.

Point 1:
    The team are 90% the same as last season and are just as fit as they were any other season. The only reason they are not performing is down to attitude. Plain and simple.

Point 2:
    In particular, can i point out that McCall's legacy brought in Hidgon who scored 27 goals in 1 season a new record for modern times. Plus Arnier and Ojamma who both sold for good money.

Any 'duds' which are in the squad, i would suggest are a result of the financial constrains placed by the board, rather than McCall.

Remember, it was the board who caused a 600k loss due to bonus payments after prize money was changed mid season. Which leads me to wonder, if the prize money hadn't changed; just how much bonus money was getting agreed too!!! Enough to rival a bankers bonus i suspect.

Considering all the back and forth with this WS and more soft

The club Hasn't been run properly for years. We had been doing well in the league and that frankly papered over the cracks.

We tried to sign players from down south to sell on to teams in leagues with no money. We stole Humphey Law Randolph and Jennings and expected to get clubs from down south to buy them back. guess what they all stuck two fingers up to us.
    it was worth a try but didn't work. Time to grow our own.
    Forget about McCall. We Learn we move on.

[quote="LawSteelman"]He's often been described by some Motherwell fans and many outsiders as one of the best ever Motherwell FC managers, no doubt taking into account the league finishes during his tenure which admittedly were excellent, on paper at least.

However that only tells part of the story because if you look a wee bit closer then you will see that overall, Stuart McCall FAILED us as a club during a time of terrific opportunity for us due to Rangers going bust, the Edinburgh clubs, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd all being at historically weak levels.

That we finished 3rd, 2nd and 2nd again and reached a Cup Final in his first half season does make for great reading but we then preceded to fall flat on our faces at every single big cup match we faced thereafter, even when we had the best first 11 outwith Celtic, due to McCall being unable to get the players to raise their game when it mattered most and thus we ended up with a catalogue of humiliating resu

FFS - will you please grow up man fae Law !?

LSM. Spot on. Mccall was a chancer. Im glad he rode his luck as we had a good run. But he by his own admission didnt have a clue how to sort things when they got tough. Some of his signings and re signings were atrocious. A very lucky man indeed. Between July and his departure I have never heard so much rubbish spoken by any manager of our club in over 40 years watching them. McHugh ,Vigurs, Lawson Ramsden Josh Law, Neilson all given contracts. From the home leg against Starjan anybody with half a brain could see there were major problems but not Stuart he was convinced talking $hite each week it would make it better. Well done Stuart.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)