+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Baird

re: John Baird

Baird in talks with falkirk.

If he does sign for falkirk that will be him kerr and muirhead against us in 2 weeks could be a very interesting game

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop
    Baird in talks with falkirk.

If he does sign for falkirk that will be him kerr and muirhead against us in 2 weeks could be a very interesting game
    They must have been in cahoots. Will be a very interesting a week on Saturday. Pity I'm working that day.

Hope for Baird's sake that "being in talks" leads to a firm offer from Falkirk. With Queens he had a deal until end of season 2015/16.

Given the parlous state of Scottish football this offered a bit of short term security. One presumes that to effectively "rip up his contract" he must be pretty certain that Falkirk or another club will make a suitable offer. For this reason I don't "buy" Mark Kerr's assertion that the Falkirk move was an after thought. There is no way that a player will take a risk of this scale unless they have a Plan B lined up.

Lets be honest for players like Baird and Kerr - they will not get a move to a Premier side so that only leaves QOS, Falkirk, Raith, Livvy (but they have no money) and Dunfermline and Morton at a push. So options are limited to say the least.

I still feel that by letting both players go potentially to the same club our biggest threat is far from ideal. In Baird's case I would have been inclined to teach the petulant schoolboy a lesson and

[quote="rjc_1988" leads to a firm offer from Falkirk. With Queens he had a deal until end of season 2015/16.

Given the parlous state of Scottish football this offered a bit of short term security. One presumes that to effectively "rip up his contract" he must be pretty certain that Falkirk or another club will make a suitable offer. For this reason I don't "buy" Mark Kerr's assertion that the Falkirk move was an after thought. There is no way that a player will take a risk of this scale unless they have a Plan B lined up.

Lets be honest for players like Baird and Kerr - they will not get a move to a Premier side so that only leaves QOS, Falkirk, Raith, Livvy (but they have no money) and Dunfermline and Morton at a push. So options are limited to say the least.

I still feel that by letting both players go potentially to the same club our biggest threat is far from ideal. In Baird's case I would have been inclined

Football is rife with players sitting on subs benches hoping that the team loses and that their rival for the favoured position has a stinker. A very sad inditement of the game but no different in the English Premier as to our lowly level of football. The fact that Baird asked for a move should only be agreed if it suits us...it clearly suits Fowler and the Club and that is all that matters.

My personal view is that I would have preferred to retain Baird at least until the end of season. As soon as the window closes the player has no option but to come back and eat humble pie or face a period in the wilderness.

Wonder who John Baird travels with to games and training.
    Both will be new signing for Falkirk !!!

So it's looking like Baird will join Falkirk , our nearest play-off challengers , just like Kerr did last week .

Let's hope the decision to terminate their contracts doesn't come back to haunt Queens .

Quote Originally Posted by rjc_1988
    Football is rife with players sitting on subs benches hoping that the team loses and that their rival for the favoured position has a stinker. A very sad inditement of the game but no different in the English Premier as to our lowly level of football. The fact that Baird asked for a move shoulder's only be agreed if it suits us...it clearly suits Fowler and the Club and that is all that matters.

My personal view is that I would have preferred to retain Baird at least until the end of season. As soon as the window closes the player has no option but to come back and eat humble pie or face a period in the wilderness.
    Can I ask you a question . Are Queens better using the £500 ( or whatever Baird is on) to bring in another striker to boost our attack OR are they better spending this valuable cash to send someone on 'gardening leave' to teach them a lesson and leave us relying heavily on our two strikers Lyle and Reilly ?

It might have been worth keeping Baird, not to teach him a lesson, but to prevent him going to a direct rival for the last play-off place. At worst we could have kept him until closer to the end of the window to reduce the number of games he plays for Falkirk. At best we could have kept him until the end of the season to prevent him going there at all. Or is the club so skint it couldn't afford his wages for a few months if somebody else is brought in? Or is he held in such low regard that he isn' t considered as strengthening the Falkirk team anyway?

IMO we did the right thing letting him go. From our point of view we need to take a leaf out of Falkirks book and start signing a few players if we are serious about this 4th spot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)