+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Falkirk highlights now on QosTV

re: Falkirk highlights now on QosTV

Cress well. Sorry for upsetting you but yes I do feel his celebration was sickening. To cheat, and make no bones about it he did cheat, to win a penalty by making sure he jumped into the area as if he had been shot and then lord it in front of us, in like you say such an important game, was sickening.. Would he have celebrated like that against rangers or any other club for that matter. I think not! I could understand his reaction if he was receiving stick from the support during the course of the game, but up to that point I hadn't heard anything against him. His sole purpose was to rub salt into the wound when he should have been celebrating with his team mates and own support, despite the fact he should have been embarrassed. After he missed the pen in the second half I spent a while hoping the support got the chance to copy his celebration followed by a two fingered salute tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN
    Superb advert for the Scottish Championship and very entertaining.
    The usual suspects disagree[/quote]

Hopefully some folk will.

100 per cent true Rory Loy born in Dumfries but brought up in Sandhead near Stranraer so you could say he has dual nationality - Doonhamer / Cleyhole

Fatfan, which is worse? "Cheating" to win a penalty or "cheating" at the edge of the penalty area in order to curtail an opponent's opportunity to score? Or does the answer to that question depend on whether it was Rory Loy "cheating" or Marc Durnan "cheating"?

Cresswell, with what you are saying then every foul about the pitch would be deemed as cheating. Loy, who is a player I actually rate, deliberately stayed on his feet and made sure he was going down in the area to get the penalty. That is something I detest, whether it be a queens player or anyone else. He conned the ref on that challenge and then was smug about it in his celebration and if you are saying that this was a goal scoring opportunity then you are also saying he should have been sent off a lot earlier than he was.

So in answer to your question. IMO if a player attempts to con the ref in this way and using a term I hate, "win his team a penalty" then yes it is worse, and that is exactly what loy done. I would also say the same if it was a queens player who went down in that manner.

I suggest that a reasonable definition of cheating in a sporting context is "deliberately to break the laws of the game in order to gain an advantage or to prevent an opponent from gaining an advantage". Did Rory Loy cheat? Queens fans will probably say "yes" and Falkirk fans will probably say "no". As for myself, I am not sure whether Loy could have stayed on his feet or not. The infringement by Durnan was almost on the line of the penalty area but marginally outside the penalty area. Was Loy spun off his feet by Durnan's tug on his arm and did his momentum simply propel him into the penalty box; or did he did he carry on into the penalty area before deliberately going to ground? Having seen the incident live and several times on this video, at best (or should that be at worst?) I think the charge of cheating against Loy is not proven. On the other hand, did Durnan deliberately tug Loy's arm to prevent Loy gaining an advantage over him (Durnan)? Yes, he did. So, did Durnan cheat? W

I agree with Cresswell on the general point that he is making. I have said it repeatedly I don't want our defenders to make many challenges around our penalty box and certainly not in our box. The penalty for getting one wrong or the referee mis-interpreting what has happened is too great in the modern game.

Far better for our defensive shell to "jockey" and block but avoid going to ground. Durnan's action was cheating and while it should not have resulted in a penalty he should have been booked. I would always advocate defenders letting forwards continue in open play rather than commit a foul and face the double whammy - penalty and sending off...this action should be avoided at all costs as player will very often not score anyway!

Managers see what they want to see and ignore anything detrimental to their team. The most obvious example of this is the new fad of "wrestling" in the box at corners. If their defender is "at it" they are incredulous when a penalty is awarded and the ph

Well said, rjc_1988. Football managers, players and former players earning a living as TV pundits spout a load of nonsense at times and this "10 penalties a game" is one of their favourites. If referees were to apply the laws of the game rigorously wrestling in the penalty box would be eradicated very quickly. If referees were to award a penalty to the attacking team (or a free kick to the defending team) and send off the culprit each time an offence was committed even the most intellectually challenged of players would soon get the message: and managers would quickly get the message, too. The same principle applies to jersey pulling and other infringements of the laws of the game as well. Apply the laws rigorously and players will comply or face the consequences including the wrath of their managers. If football were to take one or two leaves out of rugby's book on field discipline could be improved enormously without affecting the flow of the game ( which isn't to say rugby play

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)