+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southampton may now lead the way but Crewe Alexandra

Southampton may now lead the way but Crewe Alexandra

Interesting article re the Alex Youth set up

See link - view external link

re: Southampton may now lead the way but Crewe Alexandra

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch
    Interesting article re the Alex Youth set up

See link
    Many thanks. It brings a warm glow to my heart on a bitterly cold day. :-D

Yes, but one question I would like to know is how come Southampton can continually produce players from their academy who are good enough to play in the Premiership whilst the Alex are doing well if we produce one good enough to play in League 1?

I realise we have produced some who have played at a higher level than this but not as many as Southampton. Is money the only difference and if so why?

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty_Year_Fan
    Yes, but one question I would like to know is how come Southampton can continually produce players from their academy who are good enough to play in the Premiership whilst the Alex are doing well if we produce one good enough to play in League 1?

I realise we have produced some who have played at a higher level than this but not as many as Southampton. Is money the only difference and if so why?
    Money might be the reason, but Southampton is surrounded by water, forest and rich people: we are surrounded by 5 PL clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty_Year_Fan

Money must have something to do with it I guess ... but it is a valid question!
    One for MikeSB?

Just read the article with great pride in my beloved Crewe Alexandra. It reinforces my belief that we owe so much to Dario, who remains my number one sporting hero. We will never see his likes again.
    Well Done the Alex, well done Dario, well done John Bowler.

I would not go that far as the ones you mention are involved in the Cover Up with Hassall which very nearly brought the club to its knees, Time will tell when the Facts come out! WHEN, !

Clearly Saints are doing a lot right and geography has a lot to do with it, being the only regular PL club south and south west of London for the past 30 years. As with the Alex, reputation also plays a large part and they have been producing their own players for years and selling them on (Steve Williams to Arsenal, Alan Shearer to Blackburn as well as the more recent sales) so lads will join them rather than other clubs.

The case of Shearer also highlights another reason they are successful and that is scouting kids at a young age. Theo Walcott started at Swindon and Gareth Bale was spotted as a lad in Cardiff, for example. Saints have satellite centres for their Academy (one at Bath, for example) which enabled them to get around the travel rules but, to be fair, given the shortage of League clubs in the southwest, this gives kids a chance from all over, although Cardiff, Bristol and others may disagree!!

I have always thought that Southampton as a Category 1 Academy are the rig

Quote Originally Posted by itwasin
    I would not go that far as the ones you mention are involved in the Cover Up with Hassall which very nearly brought the club to its knees, Time will tell when the Facts come out! WHEN, !
    Why be negative on a thread celebrating our club? Where would we be without the academy? We would have absolutely no money, and wouldn't be able to afford players such recent ones like LDV, Pogba, Inman and Ellis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancrewefan4ever
    Why be negative on a thread celebrating our club? Where would we be without the academy? We would have absolutely no money, and wouldn't be able to afford players such recent ones like LDV, Pogba, Inman and Ellis.[/quote]

Don't rise to it. Best ignoring his posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast