+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gresty Road atmosphere

Gresty Road atmosphere

The atmosphere was great at Vale Park last Saturday and I'm convinced it would have such a positive impact on the team if we could replicate that at home.
    Ideally, we'd have a fuller GRE, where the atmosphere has traditionally come from. However, there seems to be a general migration to the Main Stand at some point in most supporters lives, which is understandable when you pay the same money for a much better view.
    If the club aren't prepared to help by looking at pricing in the GRE then surely we have to do it ourselves?
    There are plenty of regulars in the Main Stand that are happy watching the match without singing and chanting, and that's fine - people are entitled to support in whichever way they want and I respect that. On the other hand I think there are plenty who sit in the Main Stand who do want to get behind the team more (myself included) but circumstances mean they just don't at the moment. I know this is true because I saw plenty of them joining in at Vale Park!
    What if

re: Gresty Road atmosphere

GRE? Been done to death and still the brain dead remain wedded to the status quo. I would give free tickets to get that area filled.

Re Atmosphere?

We need a couple of dozen cheerleaders spread throughout the Main Stand and try and gee up those around them to for example shout ALEX! and then clap, clap, clap..repeated over again. Then hopefully that will spread outwards until the whole stand is doing it. It easy to do but it could be done and I think succeed, Maybe they could even have someone with a banner or megaphone walking up and down before the match with these instructions and actually is there any reason that Andy Scoff couldn't do that or someone else? It has been needed for a while but for some unknown reason to me, nothing happens until the ref makes a bad decision.

I think Andy is the best option and get the crowd in the mood and could he not do that during the game as well or is that tantamount to initiating a riot or whipping up the crowd against the away

I don't think stadium announcers are allowed to do what you suggest Mike
    Didn't one,at some other club, get in to trouble for doing this in a match?

I relate chanting to those who like to stand up either when they are chanting or when something exciting happens. If they are right in front of me in the Main Stand I have no compunction in putting a hand on their shoulder and asking them to sit.

If we score - that's different. There is a break in play.

Leaping up and down out of my seat is not my strong point. It now takes a little effort and few seconds. Upset people like me, and put me off going to games then there will be a big drop in attendances.

I thought the atmosphere v. Preston and v. Brizzle was great in the Main Stand. Not 'massive', but good enough.

I take your point AlexLeicester about disturbing the view of other fans and I wouldn't advocate that. That's why I think gathering at the left edge of the Main Stand could be an option as basically it's empty, so it shouldn't affect others unduly.

Quote Originally Posted by nickutto
    I take your point AlexLeicester about disturbing the view of other fans and I wouldn't advocate that. That's why I think gathering at the left edge of the Main Stand could be an option as basically it's empty, so it shouldn't affect others unduly.
    I take your point and it's a good 'un. But, depending on whether 'left' is from the seats or looked at from the pitch, I'd suggest a long chat with Alexmick, preferably - for your sake - at arms length. ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester
    I take your point and it's a good 'un. But, depending on whether 'left' is from the seats or looked at from the pitch, I'd suggest a long chat with Alexmick, preferably - for your sake - at arms length. ;-D[/quote]

You are not wrong there, AL. It is nice and peaceful where we sit and a great view of all dubious decisions (Uche handball springs to mind). I would not like some flag waving youngster hindering our view of the proceedings.

As far as atmosphere is concerned, then providing the team perform to their utmost and give those Dons a game, then I am pretty sure that the Main Stand will roar...remember Preston and Bristol?

I take your point Mick but those flag waving youngsters are potentially the future of this football club. Our atmosphere 99% of the time is reminiscent of a mortuary. How many points have the fans at Stoke and Liverpool helped to win over the years? A noisy and buoyant Gresty Road could just make that difference. I personally encourage it anyway.

It's nice to see I am not the only one who thinks it's about time we made some sort of an atmosphere. If you look at Accrington and York City who are both clubs smaller than Crewe their support is brilliant. The younger fans are the future but I know for sure that they can't be stimulated by a game at Gresty Road. If someone can set up a group for the GRE I am happy to offer support .

Have to admit that, whilst 3500 was hardly going to generate a real storm, I saw the problem first hand last night!

When that tiny pocket of Yeovil fans opposite, who were noisier than the rest of us for quite a while, started to sing "Your support is, your support is, your support is ****ing ****!!" ... ... I found myself nodding ever so slightly!
    Once we got through the first 25 mins, then things started to liven up.

But I have to agree with others, and I know this is old news - the "Railtrack/Air Products/Whatever it's called now" stand, good view it may have, is the root cause for me. I cannot recall the reason why they decided to concentrate 60% of the capacity on one side of the pitch but (ok, with some hindsight), stands of equal size around all four sides would have been a much better idea.

Just my view, I may be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast