+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Stevie May...

re: Stevie May...

I don't know how much of that is actual jest aussie. You never miss a chance to have a dig at Rooney, and you're not alone - much of the praise he's getting is through gritted teeth. Ray from the Batcave dedicated a full thread to what a toerag Rooney is and the opinion of him is always mixed on Bladesmad.

With Rooney it's going to be a case that you don't realise what you've got until it's gone. He's the most complete attacking player I've seen in an England shirt. I've a feeling Rooney might be one of the star performers in France - I won't tempt fate by saying we can win the thing, but reaching the semis is a very achievable target.

Believe, aussie - Believe. Ashes + Rugby World Cup + Euros

I think what it comes down to is this, yes I think Rooney is a great player, not world class but certainly the best option England have as a striker & has been for some time, do I think he deserves credit for the 50 goals?, yes I do, it's a great achievement especially as he's not always played the striker role BUT, yes the dreaded but & there always is one with Rooney...he's a nob, at least that's how he comes across, of course I don't really know what he's like but he certainly gives off a being a prat vibe...I want him to do well for England because I want England to do well, I hope he scores the winner in a major final but I just can't warm to him, it's like somehow he doesn't deserve to be that good, of course he might wholly deserve everything he's got, it's just the impression I've got of him that's all.

As for him being a star performer in France I'll have to disagree, just can't see him doing it when it matters, something will upset him & his game will suffer, again, hope I

You're in good company aussie. Bladesmad favourite Curtis seemed apoplectic that Rooney had broken the record.

Listen, I don't think Rooney is human being of the year, but he's a quality footballer. And for all the criticism he gets he'd be a starter for most national teams, I can only think of Argentina and Uruguay where he might be on the bench. All the European nations, including the World Champions would have him in the starting line up.

When the likes of Vardy and Lambert are getting caps we should hope Rooney keeps playing as long as possible - he's just 18 games away from breaking Shilton's record.

I don't think anyone would doubt he's a quality footballer, certainly the best England can muster, however, you must have a different perception than me of what it means to be world class, he's had three goes at the world cup now & has failed in all of them, world class players, even in mediocre teams like England tend to shine on the biggest stages, Rooney tends to stuff up.

I DO hope he keeps playing as long as possible, simple reason he's the best we have, maybe others will come up to the plate, players like Kane, early days for him yet though.

Talking of being world class, I don't think England have ANY that fit that bill, you need at least one in the right position & most likely three to have any real chance of lifting one of the two trophies that mean something for us...in all honesty I can't see England ever again winning the world cup, we should have won it in 1970 had Ramsey not taken off Bobby Charlton to 'save' him for the semi.

We had a great chance in 1990 as well. But a 40 year old goalkeeper on the decline cost us, mind you Woods would have been worse - David Seamen should have been established as the number one going into the tournament, but for sentimental reasons Robson stuck with Shilton.

'World class' is one of those terms that is liberally used and very objective. Rooney has a sack full of domestic trophys, International caps/goals and three European Cup final campaigns ... he's the real deal aussie. By your standards we can't judge Best, Litmanen, Giggs, Billy McNeill, Weah, Raul, Wynton Rufer, Ibrahimovic ect as world class - and Ronaldo hasn't been pulling up any trees in recent tournaments either. It's granted that Big Tri Dellas is world class but how many more from that 2004 Greek side? The Danish 1992 squad? Even the Germany 96 winners? International football is about the team and how it gels together, play to Rooney's strengths and support him and he'll perform. In Spain, with all t

I think you're right about it being the team & gelling together but more often than not a team that wins the big tournaments have world class players in it, as for Greece 2004, I think the 1970's Owls team would have won it with the luck they had.

I thought before I'd finished typing the last reply that you'd throw Giggs & Best at me & I suppose I set myself up for it, I suppose that whatever certain players might have won with any team they can still be judged subjectively, fans opinions vary greatly in spite of medals hanging off any players neck & leaving out my tarnished view of Rooney as a human being I really don't think he's the full article, something is missing.

I may be living in some kind of football time warp which doesn't allow for modern footballers, well, Messi aside that is but, players like Best & Charlton just don't exist in British football anymore...in more recent times we've had players like Scholes, Beckham & Ashley Cole who I would say were world class but

The Best and Giggs left and right, a staple of the 'world class' debate.

Rooney is in that elite group of international footballers. Other than that England are struggling, but some players have potential - Shaw could emerge as an accomplished attacking left back, Stirling if he can improve his decision making and delivery is a tremendous prospect, Hart is looking the best he's looked since he first became City's number one and Sturridge, provided he can avoid injury, is a striker who'll score against the best of defences.

A big problem we have in England is integrating young players into starting lineups ... something they do much better in Europe, particularly Germany. All their under 21 players are club first teamers and new first teamers like Hector and Bellarabi, two players you wouldn't class as world class are key players at their clubs and can just slot into the Germany team.

I'll pick on Chelsea here, Jacob Mellis played at the Lane today, a player than when he w

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)