+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not So Famous People You Have Met

re: Not So Famous People You Have Met

Had a few beers with Joe Johnson the snooker player a few years ago, nice bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndown
    I worked at Homebase in the 6th form and Uni holidays, fair to say all the not so famous people have to do their own DIY. Regulars in there were the likes of Christopher Timothy, June Whitfield and Patrick Moore.

I also sat on the same table at a wedding as Peter Duncan. Got very drunk with him.
    And my wife's aunt used to work for the Guide Dogs and went on Blue Peter occasionally, she said Simon Groom was really nice, she said Peter Duncan was a whanker!
    [/quote]

It was a friend of the wife who married some Kiwi, he was mates with Duncan. Couldn't disagree with your whanker theory either.

I once touched Roger Black's medals!! Had an amusing little chat with him about being a Scummer from Pompey...dirty little turncoat!!

My best mate is a gardener and has a portfolio of alleged celebs he works for and i've helped him out of jobs for Stephanie De Sykes and Jimi Mistri and his missus Flavia.
    Trying to avoid working for another one at the moment, he's recommended me to Mary Quant, unfortunately age has caught up with her and she's pretty difficult to deal with nowadays

Me and the missus were in the same bar as Ant of Ant and Dec fame a couple of years back, had a brief chat and he seemed pretty sound.
    I also sold a cd player to Gary Brooker from Procul Harem, an expensive hi-fi system to the singer from Mansun, some reel to reel tapes to the dj Mike Reid and some headphones to the bloke Basil Fawltey thought was the hotel inspector in Fawltey Towers

While in college, as a basketball manager, I met Magic Johnson. Michigan State began their NCAA title run at MTSU and I was their team host.

As a child, I saw Johnny Cash in the grocery store on many occasions in my home town. He was very friendly and would talk to you every time till many people began pestering him for autographs and such...

Quote Originally Posted by ShottermillSaint
    ...the bloke Basil Fawltey thought was the hotel inspector in Fawltey Towers

Wasn't that Bernard Cribbins?

I worked a few years in a 4 star hotel in North London, which just happened to be near to Abbey Road studios, and Wembley, so had its fair share of celebs staying who I generally met at their worst, working night shift on reception.

- Derek Thompson (Charlie from Casualty). A childhood hero of mine, cnut in real life when I met him. Gutted.
    - Roger Cook - a regular, and a big bloke. Nice and polite though.
    - Apache Indian - flash in the pan musician who threw a mobile phone at my now wifes head, when she presented him with a minibar bill. Phones back then were BIG too!
    - PJ and Duncan - flash in the pan musicians, although they did go on to do quite well in TV I think. Nice Geordie lads.
    - Richard Kelly - TV bloke from Going for Gold.
    - Torvill and Dean - The nicest skates I ever met.
    - Alfred 'Tosh' Lines from The Bill
    - Detective Frank Burnside - The Bill (and he put the sh!ts right up me seeing him face to face!)

There were load of proper celebs too

Have played golf with a few minor celebs.

Georgie Bingham from talk sport, played against her and Phillip Glenister in a match against the Stage Golf Society. She is by her own admission a golf fanatic but
    got beat and didn't like it too much. But was quite nice over lunch afterwards.

Kenny Lynch, partnered him in a charity bash. He was hopeless and just drank and smoked all day. But he stood up and did a turn at the dinner. I lost count of how many cigs he had smoked but he imitated Nat King Cole and was fantastic.

Papa, I am jealous about Lee Trevino. When I took up the game he was my idol. Might explain my strange golf swing.

The entire cast and crew of Eldorado, and on a fairly regularly basis since whoever was supposed to be supervising the traffic often went missing so my large square Royal Mail van would blunder across the set to the sound of an irate director shouting 'cut, cut, F*cking cut'

... at least I think he said cut.

When were you in Libya OhWell ? I was there 1992-96 and 2009-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazwalk
    When were you in Libya OhWell ? I was there 1992-96 and 2009-12.
    2006-07. The ambassador, Vincent Fean, was a really nice, down to earth chap, as you'd expect from a Burnley fan. I was in Yemen after that. The ambassador, Timothy Torlot, was a bit of a womaniser and while he was there, left his wife for an American journalist, which caused quite a stir and helped incite Al-Qaeda to try to assassinate him. A few other people got killed in the attempt but he survived. His career in the diplomatic service took a bit of a nosedive after that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast