+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derby only just beaten with 10 men and 7 changes..

re: Derby only just beaten with 10 men and 7 changes..

Remember it well. We were 1-0 up and if I remember it was Ronnie Moore who scored the winner. I also remember him coming over to us and sticking 2 fingers up. Happy days

i can remember leicester away at filbert street , during this run. we never stopped singing. so different to the atmosphere at the NYS when we only get vocal when we get a corner!! or score.

8 wins in February 1982

Starting with the Derby "Gerry Gow" match
    Ending with beating Palace.

Winning streak continued into March 1982 with a memorable 3-0 in the mud at Boundary Park

Unbeaten streak up to 10 with a 0 -0 v Newcastle at Millmoor

We actually lost at Filbert street in the next game...

Only to bounce back with a 4-1 victory over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge ( a 10 - 1 aggregate for the season!)

Probably the best season I can recall. Happy days indeed!

Remember those missed penalties that cost us the chance of challenging for promotion.
    Gow missed, against Luton I think, and the Tiger against Newcastle. Was there another?
    Great memories of my favourite ever season, so close to a bit of glory.

Quote Originally Posted by BellBoy
    Remember those missed penalties that cost us the chance of challenging for promotion.
    Gow missed, against Luton I think, and the Tiger against Newcastle. Was there another?
    Great memories of my favourite ever season, so close to a bit of glory.
    Just those two, both at Millmoor If they had gone in and if the rest of the results had stayed the way they went (a big if I know) we would have been promoted to Division 1 (Premiership). We would have ended 3rd, level on points (71) and goal difference (+14) with Norwich but would have gone up (no playoffs in those days) on goals scored, 68 v 64.

What was even worse was that despite such a great season we ended up 7th with the Owls and Barnsley still finishing above us in 4th and 6th respectively.

Ronnie did end up leading goal scorer in the division with 22. - view external link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12