+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (The Premier league) The promised Land?

(The Premier league) The promised Land?

Is it really? many on here know my views on what's happened to the game in this country over the last 25 years how many of you think it's right that a team that finishes bottom of the Barclays premier league at the end of the 2016/17 season will 'EARN' £90 million ?
    I'm beginning to despise what we all called a birth right!:/

re: (The Premier league) The promised Land?

The premier league is the place that clubs outside the top flight want to be. The financial side of it is one thing, but also to see your side up against the country's best.

Football in this country has seen plenty join on the bandwagon since Sky Sports on other media outlets get involved. This has encouraged business men to get involved in our game, and not always for the better.

I don't think clubs that finish bottom should be getting anything close to £90m, but in another way they are part of the league set up. I'm more concerned with how it's a closed shop at the top with only a selected few able to challenge at the top. .

I enjoy watching all levels of football, but i've also seen the light regarding subscribing to sky sports. I could take up the option of BT Sports for free through my broadband deal, but i won't do it.

While there's an appeal to sell bidding of footballing rights to the highest bidder this problem will continue to grow.

Ticket prices are continuing to grow.

[quote="wolves71"]The premier league is the place that clubs outside the top flight want to be. The financial side of it is one thing, but also to see your side up against the country's best.

Football in this country has seen plenty join on the bandwagon since Sky Sports on other media outlets get involved. This has encouraged business men to get involved in our game, and not always for the better.

I don't think clubs that finish bottom should be getting anything close to £90m, but in another way they are part of the league set up. I'm more concerned with how it's a closed shop at the top with only a selected few able to challenge at the top. .

I enjoy watching all levels of football, but i've also seen the light regarding subscribing to sky sports. I could take up the option of BT Sports for free through my broadband deal, but i won't do it.

While there's an appeal to sell bidding of footballing rights to the highest bidder this problem will continue to

You're not on your own there Eve, i still feel robbed when i paid just under £50 for Stamford Bridge. There's a certain price that i won't go over. The game was taken away from the fans as soon as Rupert Murdoch got involved.

The recent article on the bbc website sums up the premier league in the way that Richard Scudamore classed it as a 'success story' and not a 'charity in response to politicians questioning the new deal. Even today the Hull City owner has ruled out ticket price cuts.

In a way i don't blame those that chose to watch either in the pub or the comfort of their own homes, it's a lot cheaper. Television dictates all kick off times and the new deal will also include Friday night premier league live games.

Went to my first EPL game in 1984, Highbury, Arsenal-Chelsea, 9 pds...says it all. Now I would have to donate a kidney to get into The Emirates!

Quote Originally Posted by TundraWolf
    Went to my first EPL game in 1984, Highbury, Arsenal-Chelsea, 9 pds...says it all. Now I would have to donate a kidney to get into The Emirates!

Would have cost you about £3 to get in a game at the Mol in 1984 and about £4 at Highbury
    Gotta love the 80's

Oh forget the EPL IT was the First Division!!

What gets me every time is the way so many call it "the best league in the world".

It isn't.

It's the fastest paced and probably the richest, hence the multittude of mercenaries that occupy it.
    Our game is dead and has been for many years, look at La Liga and the Bundesliga to see how many home grown players there are compared to the tiny percentage in The Premier League and you will see why Germany and Spain tend to win things, at club and international level.
    Not that Sky or the Premier League give a ****, why would they? There couldn't care less about our national game as long as Sergio Aguero beats three players and rounds the keeper in a 6-0 drubbing of Leicester.

We have to be careful what we say on this subject, the accusations of jealousy will be rife but I'm not jealous. Simple as.

I've enjoyed watching one Premier League game this season, Liverpool played Spurs the other night and it was a cracking game IMO but that's about it.

If we ever get promoted I will be happy, co

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65

Would have cost you about £3 to get in a game at the Mol in 1984 and about £4 at Highbury
    Gotta love the 80's

Oh forget the EPL IT was the First Division!![/quote]

It doesn't matter what they call it for commercial purposes, Eve, it still is the First Division!:/

Ii've been on about the Greedy League for ages saying that whoever goes up is just canon fodder for the half a dozen clubs to feed on and the clubs that have escaped the drop. I sincerely hope we don't go up not that we have a chance or even deserve to so let the other unfortunates go up take the dough to pay their averge players and their agents millions and charge their fans hundreds to watch being thrashed by a bunch of foreigners week in week out.

There is a sports channel over here that I do not pay for so cannot access, it offers at least one game from the Uruguayan League each week. I always wanted to watch one of their country's top-level games to be able to compare them to the EPL, but can't find a good enough reason to pay out the monthly fees. Perhaps the experiment would not be that gripping!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)