+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (The Premier league) The promised Land?

re: (The Premier league) The promised Land?

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65
    Went to my first EPL game in 1984, Highbury, Arsenal-Chelsea, 9 pds...says it all. Now I would have to donate a kidney to get into The Emirates!

Would have cost you about £3 to get in a game at the Mol in 1984 and about £4 at Highbury
    Gotta love the 80's

Oh forget the EPL IT was the First Division!![/quote]

4pds, Eve??? Cost me 9, though I did get patted down for weapons on entering the ground (maybe the extra fiver was for that cheap thrill), they were looking for weapons, the previous season an away fan smuggled in some darts and threw them indiscriminately into the Gunners' supporters' area (the two were separated by a 9-foot high fence with spikes on the top for this match).

Crystal Palace fans had two great , massive banners at Saturdays match one showing a dressed up pig and the other said STOP PREMIER GREED. Well done, needs a few around the country.

In a perfect world, you'd get a Championship feel in the Premier League. But I want to see Wolves in the Premier League because that means we have been winning. But it's almost better to be a yo-yo club than it is to be a Stoke, where you just finish 12th-14th yearly, safe from relegation, but far from success. If you're a yo yo club, you're at least lifting a trophy every few years.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf
    In a perfect world, you'd get a Championship feel in the Premier League. But I want to see Wolves in the Premier League because that means we have been winning. But it's almost better to be a yo-yo club than it is to be a Stoke, where you just finish 12th-14th yearly, safe from relegation, but far from success. If you're a yo yo club, you're at least lifting a trophy every few years.
    One thing with Stoke is that they and Pulis knew when to part company. Mark Hughes has brought in a different type of player now to that of Pulis. Stoke are again holding their own.

Quote Originally Posted by wolves71
    One thing with Stoke is that they and Pulis knew when to part company. Mark Hughes has brought in a different type of player now to that of Pulis. Stoke are again holding their own.[/quote]

Still can only be expected to go so high. Most clubs that size, even when doing well for themselves, are seemingly in football purgatory. Southampton may be a hope for clubs our size, but we will see how sustainable they are. Done very admirably.

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65
    Is it really? many on here know my views on what's happened to the game in this country over the last 25 years how many of you think it's right that a team that finishes bottom of the Barclays premier league at the end of the 2016/17 season will 'EARN' £90 million ?
    I'm beginning to despise what we all called a birth right!:/
    we all want it but we all hate it the way its set up with the money,the fair play is a load of billhooks but you just have to be there otherwise even a cup run is a rarity

Also, '53, if the average millionaire run club gets to stay in the Championship for a straight decade they may get a chance to be rewarded by a year in the Prem, a few pastings by the big boys and a quick demotion after 7 wins, 9 draws and 22 losses...if they are lucky to get that many pts!:/

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf
    One thing with Stoke is that they and Pulis knew when to part company. Mark Hughes has brought in a different type of player now to that of Pulis. Stoke are again holding their own.[/quote]

Still can only be expected to go so high. Most clubs that size, even when doing well for themselves, are seemingly in football purgatory. Southampton may be a hope for clubs our size, but we will see how sustainable they are. Done very admirably.[/quote]

Southamp

Quote Originally Posted by TundraWolf
    Also, '53, if the average millionaire run club gets to stay in the Championship for a straight decade they may get a chance to be rewarded by a year in the Prem, a few pastings by the big boys and a quick demotion after 7 wins, 9 draws and 22 losses...if they are lucky to get that many pts!:/
    don't get me wrong its great when you can win a game even more so if you play well and deserve it but for most teams in it like us and indeed yourselves if you get back up its one hell of a bloody struggle

What gets me is that when you go up a large proportion of the pot of gold goes straightaway to the players, new players and bloodsucking Agents.
    What's in it for the fans who have supported the team through thick and thin,snow,rain,wind and disappointments ? Sod all except for higher admission prices by and large,kick offs anytime between 12-15 and 8pm from Friday to Monday and for most promoted clubs 9 months of heartbreak generally but everyone wants to feel the pain!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)