+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Queens 1-2 Hearts

re: Queens 1-2 Hearts

I enjoyed the game and our guys' performance yesterday. Once again it was great to see a good crowd of away fans and the Terregles End being used.

As to the game, I thought we had a good half but Hearts midfield was allowed to control the second. A combo of them upping their game and us running out of legs and giving them too much time and space. Thought their goal was coming for 20 mins. Still a sickener, of course, when it happened and such a crappy one too. Would have been brilliant if big Zander had managed to plant that header in the top corner at the end. ..
    Good luck to the Hearts and we should be encouraged as we reach the sharp end of the season.

A great performance by Queens yesterday with Durnan absolutely outstanding.

We were sadly caught out after the non foul, and Higgins must ensure in future that he sets out his stall rather than moaning at the ref - which is completely futile at the best of times, - but ultimately cost us their equaliser.

Totally agree with comments earlier about the subs, - there is no point in watching tired players become knackered players when you have quality on the bench in the shape of Russell and McKenna, - who both came on too late to make a difference.

Thought Paton had a very good game yesterday, - although he could have done better at the breakaway.

Overall, Queens deserved at least a draw, and the winner was a complete fluke.

I don't think the players could have done any better, - a huge well done to them all.

Higgins is club captain & needs to set an example to others by keeping his mouth shut .

Getting booked again for dissent isn't acceptable

This was a game that we desperately missed Gavin- Lyle gave everything but the lone striker role is not for him. On paper it looked an attacking line up with danny and Paton both included but in the scond half when the legs tired it became a "backs to th wall" exercise.

We failed to create much in second half and with Eckersley and the Turkish lad looking a bit suspect we played into their hands a bit by sitting deep and inviting trouble.

We really need two strikers up front and i genuinly think Russell would have been a better option as a partner for Lyle- after all Russell has scored 10 goals yes 10 goals from wide left. Logically you have to assume that he would score more goals from a central area.

That said we played great in first half but paton and millar tired very quickly at start of sevond half and we should have made changes much sooner especially as we had a decent bench . McShane was a big miss as well.

Thought Kidd was our best player today and this new role is reall

Rjc- I was concerned all week that Fowler was going to play one up and he did. Bad mistake in my opinion. This concentrated play in the midfield and our defensive area. With two up you can keep the ball higher up the park, taking pressure off your midfield . Their winner was lucky BUT we asked for it by continually inviting them on AND not making sub's earlier to replace obviously tired men. From my earlier posts ,I am not trying to be clever after the event.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG
    Rjc- I was concerned all week that Fowler was going to play one up and he did. Bad mistake in my opinion. This concentrated play in the midfield and our defensive area. With two up you can keep the ball higher up the park, taking pressure off your midfield . Their winner was lucky BUT we asked for it by continually inviting them on AND not making sub's earlier to replace obviously tired men. From my earlier posts ,I am not trying to be clever after the event.
    tbf I thought we did more than OK in the first half and did plenty of attacking. Obviously in previous games we have been dominated by Hearts midfield in the latter stages and it happened from half time onwards yesterday. I do agree about your point about subs and fresh legs and when Lyle receives little support from our midfield because we are being forced too deep, then we are going to struggle - and we did. Fortunately we have players coming back from injury. Falkirk's mi

One reason we may have played with one striker is because we only currently have 2 and 1 of them was always going to have to be subbed. Allowing Baird to go and not replacing him was a mistake in my view.
    Indeed all the subs were pre-determined, so I'm not sure what would have happened if we'd got an injury.
    The one that really puzzles me is Millar. He hasn't been out for months with an injury. Ok he's been playing part-time but even after several weeks of full-time training he can barely last longer than 45 minutes.

When I think back to different players , I generally find that the more talented ones don't have the same desire as the less talented ones . For example , John O'Neil had far more talent than Steven Bowey but I know who I would rather have ' in the trenches' or a relegation battle. My own favourite Jimmy Robertson couldn't tackle a fish supper and looked like he couldnt be bothered at times but there was no questioning his supreme talent . When he was on form it was beautiful to watch . Millar and Paton are in the O'Neil category . There is no way a Michael Paton should be playing at this level. There are far less talented players in the SPL than Paton, for me, a natural footballer. These two should be up to speed already and if they were Steven Bowey or Steven Mallan , they would. Desire my friends is the word.

Bluehome

I still cant believe that we let Baird go and Kerr for that matter. Falkirk have had a massive lift from their arrival - you only need to see recent results. Kerr is perhaps understandable but Baird makes no sense especially as he had 18 months unexpired in contract terms.

Reilly is a massive lost and i still cant believe how many injuries we keep picking up. Paton looked someway short of full fitness and I agree that Millar will not last 90 mins especially against big 3 where the pace is high tempo.

Baird had to go . He was a bad egg & we're better off without him .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)