+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is it ever acceptable?

Is it ever acceptable?

Let's try to raise this site to a new philosophical level. Currently, abuse, and in particular ***ist abuse, within football is under the microscope. This was highlighted when fans of Manchester City were recorded hurling abuse at Chelsea's doctor when she (yes, the doctor was a woman) came on to the field to treat an injured player. What was Manchester City's immediate response to this chanting? It didn't happen. Unfortunately for Manchester City the media produced irrefutable evidence that it did happen and Manchester City had to backtrack very quickly. I ask the question, is abuse whether it be ***ist, racial, sectarian or otherwise personal abuse ever acceptable at a football match or is it, as is so often claimed, harmless banter? For example, was the personal abuse of Ian Murray as he walked round the track after half-time on Saturday harmless fun or moronic abuse by a small minority that should be condemned by the majority of true fans of Queens? Is the chief executive of Celtic

re: Is it ever acceptable?

I think it should be acceptable. People are too sensitive nowadays. Take the banter and mickey taking out of the game and you kill it.

An interesting one that has no easy answer and I can see both sides of the argument . Society in general now is being sanitised to the hilt . Things are vastly different now to the era I grew up in the 70's and 80's . In Scottish football, black players ( Victor Kasule , Mark Walters ) were openly abused, sectarian division was worse and fighting outside the ground were commonplace with no one batting an eyelid. I attended a Queens game at Stenhousemuir many years ago and while walking round the ground , heard the Stenny keeper getting loudly and persistently sweared at by a small group of QoS supporters behind his goal. I actually felt mortified at why our own fans would take delight in doing this and have always remembered this . It wasn't 'banter' or done with humour, just downright nasty . Having said all this, I think the PC angle has went too far the other way . Those in the media spotlight walk on eggshells with every word uttered. The nanny state tells us not to drink and

I find such behavior offensive and hope clubs take action or face sanctions. I also think broadcasters should be taken to task. Swearing is not allowed before the watershed and neither should sectarian, racist or ***ist abuse. In the case of the recent game between Raith v Rangers, the sound should have been switched off as soon as Rangers fans started singing about standing up to their knees in Fenian blood. If they can't control their uncivilized songs,and if Rangers or the SFA can't stop them then pull the plug and stop broadcasting them to the nation.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)