+ Visit Swindon Town FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: F.A.O. Rammy & other interested parties...

F.A.O. Rammy & other interested parties...

Thanks Rammy for telling me about "The Marine from Mandalay"

What an inspiring true story how he walked hundreds of miles after fighting the Japs and saving refugees while suffering from shrapnel wounds to his legs n feet. Most of his journey in the jungle, as someone who has fought in the jungle myself I can perhaps under stand to a certain extent some of what he went though.
    He should have got a medal for his exploits.
    But of course there was no one there to inform his superiors.

What was his reaction when he was safe, to get kitted out again and go back to fight the Japs again.

It's the sort of book that should be in every school libary, kids need to know what their forebears did for this country we love.

re: F.A.O. Rammy & other interested parties...

It is a really interesting and inspiring book. I will be reading it again shortly. Glad you enjoyed it.

I have a couple of other WW2 books similar to that, which may interest you.

Have you ever read Papillon? That is another book about guts and determination in the face of adversity

Yeah, let me know thes of the other books, thanks.
    I have read Papillion, good book, but was he not a criminal.

As I understand it, Papillon was framed for the crime he was convicted of and I believe he was subsequently pardoned by the French government, so I guess he was not a criminal in the true sense of the word.

I will have a look and give you titles of a couple more books about WW2 that you may be interested in reading.

Green Beach by James Leasor is one that I recall.

It is about a radar expert who joined a combat team who were making a covert landing at Dieppe. The combat team were ordered to make sure he never got captured by Jerry, whichever way that turned out. Another true story from WW2.

If you like POW stories..."They have their exits" is quite good too. Not as well known book at the Colditz books by Major Pat Reid, but still a good story.

"Quartered Safe Out Here". Another story about the war in Burma. The book is about a chap who was with the Cumbrian Borderers. I think his experiences gave him a rather cynical view of life in later years but I guess, war can do that. Another book worth reading IMO.

I have read quite a few more and if I can think of their titles I will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by claw84
    Yeah, let me know thes of the other books, thanks.
    I have read Papillion, good book, but was he not a criminal.
    All depends what you call a criminal. In this country around that time those deposed of their right to common land by the Enclosures Act could be transported to Australia for stealing a loaf of bread or taking a salmon from the squire's stream. Devil's Island and Botany Bay were very similar in that respect.

Thanks Rammy for the details on those books, if they are as nearly as interesting as the one I just read, great.

They are all different in many ways, but similar in other too, if that makes sense? Courage perseverance, determination and good fortune are all words that spring to mind, along with may other words and thoughts of a darker and sad nature too.

I enjoyed them I hope you do. Let me know what you think?