+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolves v Sheffield Wednesday Match Day Thread

re: Wolves v Sheffield Wednesday Match Day Thread

Regarding 'Was it a penalty?'

If you freeze-frame it, the defender's left leg has obstructed Dicko. The pace of Dicko's run makes it inevitable that he will take a tumble. IMHO the referee was correct, but I also thought that watching from the SBU it as it happened.

IMHO:-

1. The defender impeded Dicko

2. Dicko did not dive.

3. It was a penalty.

I would be interested to read the views of others.

A good win and seeing the score of 3-0 many think it was a walk over, to me it wasn't. Despite the three goals Wolves need to tidy up and play more keep ball and not invite pressure. When this happens mistakes happen and the ball is given away quite a lot.

Chances created and taken is all you can ask for. At the time i thought it was a soft penalty award in favour of Wolves and even on replay i would feel aggrieved if it went against Wolves. Good to see Sako keep his nerve and score from the spot.As stated in the past 1-0 up and the game is still open and if you're trailing you have to put them away. Nihui's header should really have levelled up the scoring, only he will know why he failed to beat Kuszczak and hit the target.Kuszczak also produced a great save in the first half that was a quality one handed save. Second and third goals were quality, Doherty cross for Afobe and executed with perfection. Henry again put himself forward for goal of the month, another top finish from him

Enjoyed last night's game. As I've said before it's very rare you'll have a game where the opposition don't create any chances- they didn't take there's, we did. I thought we played well and controlled the game for the most part- as above KMac was instrumental and I believe he benefits from having from having Price alongside him. Whereas some visiting teams have tried to close him down, Sheffield simply tried to kick him off the park. And failed.

Bit disappointed with VLP. Good going forward but not so much going back- too many times there was a gaping gap where he should've been covering back and a couple where the Sheffield player went past him with no semblance of a challenge. I wasn't surprised to see him hooked but I don't like players seemingly throwing hissy fits and storming off down the tunnel.

Looking to Friday I'm praying Stears injury isn't as bad as it seemed last night- EEL didn't do anything wrong but Derby will be a far tougher challenge. IF he's out for a while I'd l

Seven minutes worth of highlights and puts the Wolves youtube one to shame. - view external link

Great find Gav. Amazing how quickly the seven minutes passes!

Interesting comments on the penalty incident. It all looked clear-cut to me. Dielna was so clearly at fault in baulking Dicko. I can't see what the controversy is all about. Watching it on frame advance shows it quite clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by wolves71
    Seven minutes worth of highlights and puts the Wolves youtube one to shame.
    Great clip, '71, the video shows clearly why a penalty kick was given:

1) contact was definitely made and the incident happened so quickly that it was hard to imagine that Dicko's collapse was in any way premeditated;

2) the ref was well back from the play and the Wednesday defender's body blocked the ref from seeing the point of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by TundraWolf

1) contact was definitely made and the incident happened so quickly that it was hard to imagine that Dicko's collapse was in any way premeditated;

2) the ref was well back from the play and the Wednesday defender's body blocked the ref from seeing the point of contact.[/quote]

Good points, Tundra. I recall, at the time at the match, pointing out to my mate that the linesman's flag was instant for the penalty.

Stearman declares himself fit to face Derby:- - view external link

Quote Originally Posted by TundraWolf

2) the ref was well back from the play and the Wednesday defender's body blocked the ref from seeing the point of contact.[/quote]

It's was still a soft penalty in my eyes, the defender also gets a slight touch on the ball. I can see why in real time why it was given with Dicko going into the area at pace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)