+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football Must Learn From Rugby

Football Must Learn From Rugby

Just watching the rugby by god, football has a hell of a lot to learn from it. If the refs not sure TV replay makes sure justice is done. Two 6 foot + have a go at each other the ref call them across gives them a right b@@l@cking, over the mike for everyone to hear and the player run off like naughty school boys. Can you imagine what would happen if football refs did that to £100k/week prima donnas. Football needs to get up to date.

re: Football Must Learn From Rugby

Quote Originally Posted by ramspride
    Just watching the rugby by god, football has a hell of a lot to learn from it. If the refs not sure TV replay makes sure justice is done. Two 6 foot + have a go at each other the ref call them across gives them a right b@@l@cking, over the mike for everyone to hear and the player run off like naughty school boys. Can you imagine what would happen if football refs did that to £100k/week prima donnas. Football needs to get up to date.
    This Kiwi TMO is doing my head in... How many times does he need go look at things?
    Way too slow for me..
    I quite like warts and all...

Sorry Ramspride, but nothing riles me up more than the title of this thread. Rugby, or it's fans, are the most pompus of any sport. They talk like Manchester United fans, thinking they're better than everyone else.

Plenty of other sports with much more passion and respect. **** rugby, pompus arrogent *****s with their "I'm not skillful enough for football" toffee nose bum hugging game.

...from a respectable football fan

On a serious note, rugby just isn't as passion filled or fast paced as football. The score margins are less tight and because its all about physical contact there are less difficult decisions for officials to make.

It's not really a good comparison to make.

I don't know many sports that have the same intensity or pressure as football. The only thing that I can think of that comes close is ice hockey.

Ice Hockey - puck off

Invariably and historically football has been played in state schools and rugby and cricket in private schools so there is a noticeable difference in those that play and follow the respective sports.

You rarely find tweed, chino's or suede slip ons at a football match, I'm going to be controversially stereotypical and say that it's a class thing with football being the working mans game.

Had the England football team ever come so close to winning something the nation would be in mourning for days. As it stands Tarquin and Giles will probably take another sip of sloe gin from their hip flask before heading to Rupert's fathers estate for supper.

Football has nothing to learn from an unnecessarily overly complicated game. Makes me laugh every time when the commentators try to explain the referees decisions. Terrible sport IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddo
    Football has nothing to learn from an unnecessarily overly complicated game. Makes me laugh every time when the commentators try to explain the referees decisions. Terrible sport IMO.
    I like rugby union but the hoof it tactics bore the pants off me.. How any sport can think giving the ball to the opposition is a good thing is beyond me..
    Today was a good example, we need 7 pts in the last couple of mins and from the restart, Ford kicks long and give it to the French... ****.

Adi my point was nothing to do with football v rugby, I don't understand or watch rugby much myself. What I was trying to get at is the things that wind me and most people up in football could be addressed by bringing in some of rugby's controls. Bad refereeing decisions due to the refs position - television replay. Control of loutish behavior by players. Microphone on the ref for crowd to hear what the ref says to them. Time keeping controlled by a clock not at the whim of the ref. Maybe even sin bins instead of the ref sending someone off and ruining the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ramspride
    Adi my point was nothing to do with football v rugby, I don't understand or watch rugby much myself. What I was trying to get at is the things that wind me and most people up in football could be addressed by bringing in some of rugby's controls. Bad refereeing decisions due to the refs position - television replay. Control of loutish behavior by players. Microphone on the ref for crowd to hear what the ref says to them. Time keeping controlled by a clock not at the whim of the ref. Maybe even sin bins instead of the ref sending someone off and ruining the rest of the game.

I think that at some time top level football has to use technology more, I mean we have 4th official whose sole role seems to be to get an ear bashing from the managers and fiddle with an electronic board!!!

It surely would not be too much to have video replays for offsides, penalty shouts etc, incidents which can turn a game on its head and gie each manager

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam
    This Kiwi TMO is doing my head in... How many times does he need go look at things?
    Way too slow for me..

I quite like warts and all...
    [/quote]

Agree on the point of how many times...watching the England / France game I did start to smile at the irony of a stadium full of people wtaching a ref waiting for a ref to watch the game back on TV...a beautifully ironic 21st Century slant on a game that is supposed to be spontaneous and artistic...

Tha

Years ago the crowd watching a Foosball match would come away arguing amongst themselves about refs decisions because, like the ref, they had only seen it once and from the position they were standing. Now Sky have so many cameras, almost one up the players backside, that in the end after seeing the incident countless times and having a couple of 'experts' reviewing an incident the correct decision is proven. The poor old ref has no chance. I'm not saying every decision should be referred to television but limited to two per half after appeal by the captain or more if the ref is not sure. If we ended up with loads because the ref wasn't sure it would prove a bad ref.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)