+ Visit Arbroath FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Red Lichtie Manager

New Red Lichtie Manager

Who would you want?

1. Barry Robson, would have been a great choice but unfortunately he is going to be offered another years contract by the Dons.

2. Barry Smith, good Manager but I believe he stays in Paisley.

3. Colin Cameron, still a good player and the type we lack in the centre of midfield, done well at Cowden but we would need to pay Berwick compensation, I think he still stays in Carnoustie.

re: New Red Lichtie Manager

I would favour someone with local connections. Charlie King is apparently doing very well at Brechin Vics. Could he be an option as player manager?

Tend to agree with you Tim, history shows when Arbroath FC has had any success (promotion etc) the Manager has lived within an hours drive from Gayfield :-

Sir Albert Henderson probably best Manager ever in Arbroath's history got us promoted and kept us in the top division in Scotland stayed in Arbroath.

Dave Baikie got us promoted and although he was from Dundee he stayed in Tayport.

John Brownlie get us promoted into the 2nd tier of Scottish football and he stayed in the Falkirk area.

John McGlashan again came from Dundee but stayed in Carnoustie also got us promoted and done a lot in the town and was a well known face in Arbroath.

Paul Sheerin goes down as a legend winning us our first league title and stayed in Perth.

So looking at that list it may be the road to go down for the club, I personally prefer to have a local Manager because I think the bond between Manager and the fans is ***** and also must be better for the AFC Board to have face-to-face meetings with the Manage

Jim Weir has the best "form" record in the division, and stays in Perth, ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Brian Kerr? Plays football the "Sheerin" way.

What happens if Todd Lumsden wins the next three games then gets us promotion via the pkayoffs?

I would say it's now time to take a deep breath, take stock, and let the next few games take care of themselves, who knows which division we will actually be in yet next season!

[quote="steeplejack" record in the division, and stays in Perth, ticks a lot of boxes for me.
    [/quote]
    After the Brechin fiasco, you must be at the wind up Steeples. NO F****** WAY.

Surely you were on the "vino-calipo" when you wrote that statement steeplejack?

My abiding memory of Jim Weir is the debacle of his final game in charge of the club - the second leg of the relegation playoff at Station Park. That team had no heart for the fight and deservedly lost comprehensively. If that was the best Jim Weir could do to motivate the players then we should all be grateful he jumped ship for Brechin. Can't believe anyone would seriously consider a manager who got us relegated as a possible option for the future - not unless you fancy a trip to Wick, Fort William etc in season 2016 - 2017!

The AFC Board have to get this appointment correct imo.

I still go with a local person getting the job with my choice a Ray Farningham/John McGlashan combo with George Shields/Keith Gibson coaches on board.

Farningham/McGlashan have bags of experience in the senior game and many think Farningham is one if the best coaches in Scotland.

FACT is Arbroath FC's success have been under local Managers there is no denying that and imo the Manager should be within an hours drive of Gayfield to attend supporters functions and to meet up with the AFC Board anytime required, we have to get the club closer to the town and supporters and the likes of McGlashan is in the town everyday to deal with his property that he rents out so he could visit schools and drum up business sponsorship etc..

Both are vibrant and stay local and importantly they are available and also know the local junior league well.

The problem we have is that the season in nearly finished, players will soon be out of contract, and we really need someone in place to look at the squad and start planning and signing for next season. At least we have more time to prepare than last season but that situation was helped by some astute signings by the outgoing manager.

I, probably like many others, was happy about last summer's appointment but perhaps a wee bit more due dillegence might have found that, in the view of some, he, allegedly, had some faults and did not get on well with some people

I would rule out any manager that has managed 2 or more league clubs in his career.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)