+ Visit Millwall FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Still in with a chance

re: Still in with a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram
    The academy team are good, are you sure?
    Failing that,you could try the old 71 side...or whats left of them...and even they could still give us a game![/quote]

Of the old 1971/72 Champion winning team we could still put out the following;

Boulton
    Webster
    Robson (deceased) so Daniel
    McFarland
    Todd
    Gemmill
    Hennessey
    McGovern
    O'Hare
    Hector
    Hinton

Sub
    Durban[/quote]

A great side mate..led by the greatest of all Managers...and no I am not talking about Ollie!!

Yeah a great manager who they let go to Nottingham forest to win two European cups and countless other trophies.

Just Wonder what he would have been like if he had had the countless millions that Jose has or that City can provide

Its a different game nowadays with all the money at the top, I would like to see the likes of jose and van gal at small clubs on a budget.

Too right! It's always made me laugh about so and so being the best Manager around...but as you rightly put it...lets see what they are like with f,uck all money.

When Cloughy started Managing it was with Hartlepool who practically always finiished near the bottom of the old 4th division. Not only did he get them up to the 3rd at his first attempt but he even took a coach drivers license to save money when they played away..and that is fact not a legend!! Imagine Jose or Van Gaal having to drive the f,ucking bus!!

Cloughie (RIP) actually sold me my first season ticket in 1968. He used to often work in the ticket office during the week. It cost me £6-6s-6d.

Cloughie was a great man, great player and great manager followed by Dave Mackay (RIP), great man, great player and also a very underrated great manager too.

Mackay's champion winning team of 1974/75 was a great team too but his squad was a bit more in depth than Cloughies

Choose from

Colin Boulton
    Ron Webster
    David Nish
    Rod Thomas
    Roy McFarland
    Peter Daniel
    Colin Todd
    Bruce Rioch
    Archie Gemmill
    Alan Durban
    Henry Newton
    John McGovern
    Steve Powell
    Kevin Hector
    Alan Hinton
    Charlie George
    Leighton James
    Frannie Lee
    Roger Davies

Quote Originally Posted by frenchlion
    Too right! It's always made me laugh about so and so being the best Manager around...but as you rightly put it...lets see what they are like with f,uck all money.

When Cloughy started Managing it was with Hartlepool who practically always finiished near the bottom of the old 4th division. Not only did he get them up to the 3rd at his first attempt but he even took a coach drivers license to save money when they played away..and that is fact not a legend!! Imagine Jose or Van Gaal having to drive the f,ucking bus!!
    Our Ronnie is cutting his teeth at Hartlepool now - Gonna save em bi looks of it.

I agree though, the spoils need to filter down in a more equitable way - to all clubs. (Means fairly )

[quote="Oldtimeram"]Cloughie (RIP) actually sold me my first season ticket in 1968. He used to often work in the ticket office during the week. It cost me £6 6s 6d

Evening Oldtimer the money spent on that season ticket would be the equivalent of £102 today! How much did you pay this season's ST? Then work out the percentage of your income it takes compared to 68...The working man's sport my arse!! Cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)