+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Since the Premier League started"

"Since the Premier League started"

Well, Everton have just recorded their biggest win over Man Utd "since the Premier League started".
    The younger ones of today probably think the likes of Everton, Liverpool and Tottenham are doing pretty well these days because they haven't really done much "since the Premier League started".

Less than a decade before football was invented in 1992, Everton won the League (twice?) FA Cup, League Cup and Cup Winners Cup.

I'm sure Watford will be welcomed into the Premier Legue with open arms and I'm sure we will all get to hear about Watford's footballing history that began, funnily enough, in 1992.
    Can't wait to see what they have achieved "since the Premier League started".

What the hell did we do before 1992?

[no subject]

It's as if anything before '92 is irrelevant, or in Sandwell Town's case before '68

Sky sports always big up the 'premier league' and have a 'product' to promote and sell.

What did we do before '92? Look up into the sky and wait for the football to land

re: [no subject]

That's the word I was probably after.

Irrelevant.

Jesus, in the late 70's and early eighties we ruled Europe, three English teams won The European Cup 5 times over 6 years or something.

The fact that Aston Villa won it in the early eighties makes us and them the only Midlands teams to win a major trophy in colour

I have to say Newcy, that I just love your 'take' on this. The Sky attitude is totally farcical. We all know that the Football League started in 1888 and football was played in various forms for centuries before that. The history of English football since the League started is full of amazing feats, facts and drama. Northampton and Carlisle, for example, may not have played in the Premier League - but they did, except that it was called Division One in their day and that is exactly what it is now!

"Since the Premier League started"

Yes, as you say English teams like Liverpool, Forest and Villa did the country proud in the late '70s and early 1980s.

Television has a lot to answer for and so does all the money that goes with it, but the premier league and getting to it is the dream teams not in it aspire to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Woking88
    I have to say Newcy, that I just love your 'take' on this. The Sky attitude is totally farcical. We all know that the Football League started in 1888 and football was played in various forms for centuries before that. The history of English football since the League started is full of amazing feats, facts and drama. Northampton and Carlisle, for example, may not have played in the Premier League - but they did, except that it was called Division One in their day and that is exactly what it is now!
    I went to the Football League Centenary at Wembley in '88, the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd were there too.
    Great day out, proper football, played Everton, Robble Dennison scored the goal of the tournament and Wayne Clarke was playing for Everton that day

As you say, there has been some wonderful, heart stopping moments in the hundred odd years before football turned professional in 1992

I'm watching Arsenal vs Chelsea at

That 'Mercantile Football League Centenary at Wembley in '88' was my first ever visit to Wembley. I still talk about Robbie Dennison's goal from the half way line as if it was yesterday. Leeds fans tried to throw their weight around trying to cause trouble doing the rounds in each supporter's section.

Quote Originally Posted by wolves71
    That 'Mercantile Football League Centenary at Wembley in '88' was my first ever visit to Wembley. I still talk about Robbie Dennison's goal from the half way line as if it was yesterday. Leeds fans tried to throw their weight around trying to cause trouble doing the rounds in each supporter's section.
    Mad when you look back on it.
    You could get just about round the whole of Wembley under the terraces at the time.
    I remember dirty Leeds fans coming round to our part, having a "disco" with us then legging it when Wolves fans surged toward them
    Tranmere were to our right if I remember, very noisy lot.

Wembley bound a few times around then. The Centenary, The Sherpa, Bully scoring two crackers against Czechoslovakia and not scoring in a 3-1 win against Yugoslavia.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcy Wolf
    Mad when you look back on it.
    You could get just about round the whole of Wembley under the terraces at the time.
    I remember dirty Leeds fans coming round to our part, having a "disco" with us then legging it when Wolves fans surged toward them
    Tranmere were to our right if I remember, very noisy lot.

Wembley bound a few times around then. The Centenary, The Sherpa, Bully scoring two crackers against Czechoslovakia and not scoring in a 3-1 win against Yugoslavia.[/quote]

Correct a good crack with the Tranmere fans. I've been to Wembley three times since then, Sherpa Van and two Eng

The fact that Aston Villa won it in the early eighties makes us and them the only Midlands teams to win a major trophy in colour [/quote]

Very wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)