+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did it go wrong?

Where did it go wrong?

With just one game to play, there is still a remote chance of the play offs. Normally our points total of 75 would almost certainly qualify a team, for a few extra games in May. However, this year our potential target of 78pts may not be enough!

So where did it go wrong? Many will point to the desperate run back in November. After a good start with victories against the three relegated teams, the wheels fell of somewhat. But closer inspection tells a different story.

In a season, with each team playing each other home and away, there is the potential to gain six points from an opponent. Against only 5 teams did we manage this.
    Blackburn
    Fulham
    Cardiff
    Leeds
    Sheffield Wednesday.

We took four points of only 4 teams.
    Blackpool
    Bolton
    Wigan
    Watford

Seven teams allowed us the luxury of 1 win and one defeat giving us three points.
    Norwich
    Rotherham
    Huddersfield
    Middlesborough
    Derby
    Forest
    Brentford

We had draws, home and away against
    Charlton and
    Brighton
    Rendering just two points.

re: Where did it go wrong?

Abbo,
    The 5 defeats in a row would kill off any club, whether chasing promotion or avoiding relegation.
    If we had won just one in that awful run things would be looking far more rosy with one game to play.
    Millwall keeps springing to mind, so does Blackpool and the two Brum games.
    But like you said, it's been a pretty remarkable season.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcy Wolf
    Abbo,
    The 5 defeats in a row would kill off any club, whether chasing promotion or avoiding relegation.
    If we had won just one in that awful run things would be looking far more rosy with one game to play.
    While agree with your opening statement Newcy, three of those defeats were to clubs we later won against, thus gaining three points. I still think the real damage was done with Brum, Reading and Blackpool away.

November and in particular Derby, Forest, Brentford- goals for 0, goals against 12. Destroyed our goal difference and we were playing catch-up from then on.

Last season Wigan finished fifth with just 73 points, the season we went down Watford were third with 77. In the same way that our relegation points tally would seen us safe the two seasons following, sometimes it just doesn't seem to go our way.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom
    Abbo,
    While agree with your opening statement Newcy, three of those defeats were to clubs we later won against, thus gaining three points. I still think the real damage was done with Brum, Reading and Blackpool away.[/quote]

That Millwall game was the real shocker having to stand there at the Den and watch us gift the Lions a draw after being totally in control of the game beggared belief!

Eve, I can imagine the journey home!

Hopefully we can rectify that on Saturday.

In recent weeks it has to be Blues away and Ipswich at home. I also point to November where Wolves conceded four**** goals. The 3-3 draws at both Reading and Millwall also stand out in September and October respectively.

Saying that even if Wolves just miss out we have had a good season and plenty of positives. The head coach has given youth a chance. The signing of Afobe is a massive plus.

Firstly, whatever happens next Saturday this has been a very good season overall. In fact it's been a great last two seasons and considering where we were at this point two season's ago it is a quite remarkable turn around. kenny Jackett must take the plaudits for that.

If you have to point anywhere to where we haven't quite made the grade, it really hasn't all gone wrong, then it's the defence. Surprisingly enough, so I've been told tonight, we've kept a clean sheet rate of 40% this season, however, when it has been breached it's collapsed at times. That run in November certainly didn't help, and I suppose I can't argue against the fact that had just one of those results been reversed then everything would still be in our own hands this Saturday, but we've since had numerous chances to have done enough for that run not to matter.

If I remember rightly that run started with the home defeat to Huddersfield and that cart-horse Grant Holt causing havoc in our defence. Three nil up at

Very astute analysis, Plates. Having been around in that miserable November period I recall the rising frustration and despondency that filled the Mol with every misplay, half-hearted effort and bone-headed referee's decision that played itself out in front of the faithful; it was hard to take. For me it is that November stretch where even one lost game won would have made a huge difference.

Following on from Platers excellent analysis, I thought I would dig a little deeper and look at the clean sheets kept by the top eight sides.

Middlesborough 19
    Wolves 18
    Bournmouth 18
    Derby 18
    Watford 15
    Norwich 13
    Ipswich 12
    Brentford 10

From those figures, apart from our hammerings at Derby and Brentford, you could make a case for our team not scoring enough goals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)